Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 disco - 105,000 miles.

Trying to determine if I have a head gasket issue. Have a strong smell of exhaust from coolant. Did a compression test and here are the numbers.
1 - 210
2 - 180
3 - 160
4 - 180
5 - 155
6 - 155
7 - 155
8 - 165

My understanding is high compression could be carbon build up which would explain #1 , but what about 2 and 4. The rest look fairly normal. Should I assume based on this I don't have a head gasket issue? Compression test was done on cold engine.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Bottom line is if you DO have exhaust in your coolant, you've got head gasket issues.
You could send off a sample for testing to be sure, but if you can actually smell exhaust in your coolant resevior, it's head gasket time.
Oh, and it sounds like your right on the brink, so I would change them now before a catastrophic failure.

· Registered
35 Posts
Hey, I am having misfires in cylinder 5 and 7. I've done some other work but looking to test compression next. I'm just wondering if you needed anything special to accomplish your tests. I thought I read somewhere about having issues attaching a regular compression tester. Thanks.
04 D2 4.6 auto about 110k km.

· wjsj69
124 Posts
Coolant system pressure test requires a pressure tester and an adapter to pressurize through the coolant reservoir, since the radiator has no cap. There's a write-up (do a search) on how to make one since it's hard to find the right adapter. Compression testing the cylinders is like anything else; standard compression tester.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.