Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to get a 05' LR3 with the locking rear diff. I'm not sure how long it's been since the fluids have been changed so I thought I would change them just as a precaution. I looked up the recommended fluids in the manual and it looks like they're LR dealer fluids. I called a dealer and he said I could use 75-90 in the front diff but recommended LR fluid for the transfer case and rear diff. I tried searching and could only find a mention to Royal Purple maybe being compatible. I just want to make sure I put the correct fluid in each so I don't cause issues later down the road. The closest dealer is about 300 miles away so if I could find comparable fluid in town that would be great. The dealer fluid is also expensive. $23.62/qt for the transfer case and $45.26 for the rear diff. It looks like I would need 2 of each to do a drain and fill almost $140 in fluids.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Trans Fluids

Front diff can use Castrol Syntrax 75/90. I researched t/c fluids on my '06 RRS and you have to use the shell fluid from the dealer - try atlantic british or BP Utah for online price.
Rear diff was same as front but I don;t have locking version - so your's may need dealer fluid. I also had leak from Tranmission Sleeve at 70K - so changed trans fluid with ZF Lifeguard6, pan/gasket/filter comes in one piece - and upgraded sleeve. THis is not an easy DIY since you have to lift engine slightly on RRS to access the sleeve. I had local Aamco do it - they got good prices on the fluids - so the difference between me doing and the labor charge for them to do was not so bad ...

·
Super Trooper
1,176 Posts
You should use the dealer fluid for the locking diff. Transfer case and front diff you can use whatever you want.

The rear diff requires very specific fluid that is compatible with carbon clutches. There is a little bit cheaper option. The Pontiac G8 with the 2.92 rear diff requires the exact same fluid as the Land Rover locking diff (Castrol Carbon Mod Plus). AC Delco (GMs brand) sells it under their own label and part number GM P/N 92184900. That's the route I went. Regardless of what anyone else tells you, there is no other fluid that cross references the Carbon Mod Plus. Spend $60 bucks now in fluid or $1,000 later on a rebuild. Your choice.

You can find it on Amazon for $33.54 a quart and free shipping and at Pace Performance for $28.64 a quart (http://paceperformance.com/i-5132570-92184900-gm-ac-delco-rear-axle-lubricant-75w-85-33-8-oz-1l.html)

Colin

·
Registered
63 Posts
hell pie, I'm glad you posted this. I thought I was going crazy. In my owner's manual (MY2006, manuf. 12/2005), it lists the exact same fluid for the Transfer Case as it does for the ATF. However, when I first purchased my car and went to the dealership to buy fluid, they told me that it took a different type. I said "okay, give me whatever it's supposed to take." Since that time, it looks like everywhere has a different part number for the transfer case fluid vs. the ATF fluid now, so I thought that perhaps there was a misprint in my manual. However, it sounds like using the ATF is/was probably okay, but they have likely updated their recommendation (or it may just be the same thing, but they've slapped a different part number on it and doubled the price!).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.