Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I know there are previous posts on the overdrive which is why I am
rather confused. I am busy sourcing an overdrive for my very thirsty
V8. I have the original SIII gearbox in the original(well maybe not because
it must have come out the army so I'm sure there have been a few repairs
over the years) 109 body with a 3.5l V8 ROVER conversion. Now the confusion is popping up about the noise it makes(overdrive). I've read in a reply to a post that if the overdrive wines then it is worn but then on other replies to other posts it seems one must accept that the overdrive allways makes the wining noise.

If the overdrive does wine and is therefore worn then what is the life span
of an overdrive and can it be rebuild?

Cheers

·
Registered
79 Posts
over drive

hi
mini wines on my 109 rear bad between 45 58mph then its quiet ive being told loads of them do it and there being whineing for long time but still holding together. my mate says u can get rebuild kits for them but i aint seen wear?

·
MISSING SOUTH LONDON.
3,433 Posts
What type of overdrive do plan on getting?? If it is a fairey then whining in definately part of it's "Charm".Mine has 240k on the OD and whines like hell,but works perfectly.hope this helps. :)

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Faireys whine badly, but most especially so when they run dry, which is frequent. BE SURE to check the oil level often. The whining is due to the manner the gears are hobbed, straight cut vs. helical cut.
Can't help myself, I have to point out that wives and overdrives whine, wine is what comes from the vineyard. California first, AU a close second, SA is pretty damn good too. Drink French only as a last resort, They think we're so crude when we lay on the floor in front of the fridge with the spiggot on the Box-O-Wine dribbling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't help myself, I have to point out that wives and overdrives whine, wine is what comes from the vineyard. California first, AU a close second, SA is pretty damn good too. Drink French only as a last resort, They think we're so crude when we lay on the floor in front of the fridge with the spiggot on the Box-O-Wine dribbling.[/QUOTE]

mmmmmm.........was wondering if anyone would pick that up.
Thanks for all the responses, I will be finding out this weekend as to the
make of the overdrive when I take my gearbox in for it's rebuild.
As to topping up with oil, that'll be no problem as I have to do that to
pretty much everything else!

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
I dont think wine in the Over Drive will work?

Seems like a waste in any case.

Butternut where are you from?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.