Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife's 95 disco with 50 thousand miles on the speedometer is becoming very hot when running in this 90+degree weather. She will not allow it to run its full course because she shuts off the AC before the gauge gets in the red zone. Without the AC the needle moves just above the middle of the guage.
There is the required amount of antifreeze in the expansion tank, the belts are tight, the fan engages as the engine heats up, the AC fans in front of the radiator are on when the AC switch is turned on, there is no evidence of antifreeze in the oil or oil in the antifreeze, and no visible leaks,so far, that I can see.
Is this typical of a ten year old Disco that has been well looked after or some other problem such as a plugged radiator that this 75 year old body might have to nurse?
Any suggesions will not be entertained lightly and will be received with grave concern.
TIA
Alex
Additionally, I've observed that when the engine is running at normal temeratures there is only a slight movement upward on the temp guage. Turning on the AC causes the two fans in front of the radiator to come on. If I then turn off the AC the two fans will not shut down even though it appears they are not needed. Is this normal behavior for the cooling system?
Again, How does one trouble shoot the radiator fan? And,lastly, what are the usual procedures in trouble shooting this problem?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Just because the coolant level in the expansion tank looks okay, it doesn't mean that there many not be a problem. Even a very small leak in the cooling system will draw air instead of coolant back into the system while the level in the expansion tank will not change. You could also have a thermostat that is sticking, or a water pump on the way out, however, this usually gives an early warning with a load bearing noise or squeal, but this is not always the case. I assume that you have checked the radiator for any obstructions.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Check the radiator

My radiator on my 98 D1 was "gunked up" and had to be replaced. I am having problems again after a few months and it looks like one of the condenser fans is out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Landrovers have an excellent cooling sytem, over here I have driven in 40+ degree days(112F+) and never had heating problems. Probably someone has not run coolant/corrosion inhibitor in the engine at some time. This will cause the radiator and engine block to fill up with crud, take the car to a reputable radiator shop and get the engine and radiator reverse flushed make sure they take the thermostat out before doing the motor. If that doesnt work they may have to take the top tank off and rod out the core, still a lot cheaper than a new radiator. :drink1:

·
Registered
7 Posts
D1 Overheating

Signnage,

My 1997 is experience a flucutation in the temp guage when I have the AC on and it is worse when lights AND AC are on. Turn off lights and AC the temp guage goes back to normal. I am told this is a bad ground. Have yet to find the culprit...did you find your answer?

Thanks,

Tirewall

·
Registered
70 Posts
My 97 was overheating a year ago... turned out that the previous owner never flushed the radiator - not just draining and refilling the coolant but actually flushing the system. There was a lot of corrosion in there that clogged it up. Instead of getting a new radiator for around $800 through Rover, the shop that fixed it (very experienced) re-cored it with 5 channels, not 4 like the stock ones, for about $600... it has been a year and it works great. Never overheats.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.