Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help, 2002 Land Rover Discovery 2 4.0 Overheating Problem. I have replaced the radiator, thermostat, upper and lower hoses, reserve cap, water pump, I can only drive it about a mile and it starts overheating, blowing water out at the reserve tank lid and overflow. Before I replaced the leaking water pump I could drive it approx. 15 miles before it would overheat, the new parts have made the problem worst. I love this vehicle and hate to let it go, any ideas, 951-323-0549

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Are you sure you've routed the belt correctly? If it's backwards it can cause the pump to spin in the opposite direction and cause overheating.

Did you bleed the system properly?

Are you sure all of the hoses (mainly thermostat hoses) are oriented correctly?

You may be looking at a cracked block or blown head gasket. Unfortunately with the driving you've done already you could have easily ruined the block.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks You for the response. I will double check the belt installation, The hose installation looks great, I have always shut it down as quickly as possible when it starts to overheat. The engine sounds great, it idles great without overheating. There appears to be no water in the oil,

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Does it go past normal but not into the red? Sometimes new thermostats stick for a minute or so before opening the first time. My uncle used to heat em up before he put one in. I never have.

Mine never boiled fluid out when it stuck. But showed no other signs of over heat with an infrared thermometer...but registered right below the red on the gauge, above normal. It just sat there. I suspected it to be steam on the sensor or air trapped in the little thermostat hose loop. I drove it a little with the gauge never going down or up then the thermo finally opened.

I say all that with a lot of reservation. I could see someone driving overheated waiting for it to open then I'd feel bad. Make sure you have no air if possible. With the engine off and cold take the bleed screw out and pop the reservoir out of its rubber mounts, elevate it and pour coolant in from up high and let it run out the bleed screw for a min while filling. Make sure there's no air

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.