Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're driving to NY on the NJ Turnpike doing 70 when I noticed the temp gauge start to climb to the red zone. I immediately backed off the gas and the temp came down. I pulled over and raced the engine to cool it and everything was fine for about 5 miles. The same thing happened again and I did the same. The rest of the trip was ok. On the return trip the overheating occured a few more times. Anybody have any ideas? :rellye

·
MG
771 Posts
How's your coolant level? If it's still good, I would suspect the water pump...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
honybears said:
We're driving to NY on the NJ Turnpike doing 70 when I noticed the temp gauge start to climb to the red zone. I immediately backed off the gas and the temp came down. I pulled over and raced the engine to cool it and everything was fine for about 5 miles. The same thing happened again and I did the same. The rest of the trip was ok. On the return trip the overheating occured a few more times. Anybody have any ideas? :rellye
Fan clutch is bad.

Get one from DAP and I'll help you replace it (I have the fan clutch wrenches). I'm at exit 4 off the Palisades Parkway if you need help.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Jon,
i don't make a point of disagreeing, but in this case I do. If it were a fan clutch, the engine would be running cool do to the volumn of highway air. I t overheat while driving slow because of a lack of cooling air from the fan.
I think before Honybears buys a clutch, they might want to go thru the basic and check the fan operation, hot and cold, check the water pump, coolant level and cap and verify there is not a head gasket problem starting to show up.
If I am wrong, I stand corrected, after all this was a quick off the cuff thought on a Monday morning.
Mike J.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Check the thermostat also. If the antifreeze/coolant has not been regularly changed (every year is recommended by many people now) then corrosion can build up in the engine water passages. It is then only a matter of time before the thermostat starts to plug up. What about flushing the coolant properly - takes about an hour - and replacing the thermostat which is not expensive. If this doesn't work, check the water pump etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. It was the thermostat. I still have the cooling fan relay constantly and rapidly clicking under acceleration or at even speeds. When I come to a stop or idle I can hear the relay and the fans engage.The air is not on and actually I am calling for heat. Any Ideas??? :rellye

·
Registered
720 Posts
honybears didn't you buy this Disco recently? If this truck is new to you I suspect someone, before you bought it, was concerned with overheating and may have done a little fix to assist the rad cooling... Is it possible this crafty person adapted the AC fans that sit in front of the rad to work all the time, not just when the AC is on? Once, some time ago I used the AC system fans to cool the rad when our regular electric fans (that replace the factory mechanical fan) malfunctioned. We got home that way although the little woman's toes were frozen. If someone has done this trick, you might be able to see the added extra wiring if you look carefully. If you get suspicious about some extra wires, compare the wiring to another Disco of the same year at your local dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.