Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My wife called me the other day while I was at work and said that there was coolant all over the ground. It was below freezing that day. My thinking was that my 50/50 mix might have frozen?
Anyway, I asked a friend of mine to pull the lower radiator hose off to try and get all of the water out of it.

When I got off of work, I picked up a new thermostat on the way, my friend told me that there was coolant on it when looked under the hood before he pulled the lower hose off. I figured the thermo housing might have crack in the cold temps.
When I got home I didnt see any cracks but replaced the thermo anyway. I flushed all the water out of the system and put in straight green coolant. I flused the block and the radiator. I didnt flush the heater core.
I began the bleeding process. Heat on high with the fan motor on high. That was on saturday. Sunday morning I topped off the resivor with coolant and started the truck, it got up to 205 while idling, I was still bleeding some air out of the system. I let it cool down for the day and later that evening I topped to resivor off with coolant. Took if for a spin. Started to overheat. Temps around 225. It only made it about a mile down the road. However, I let it idle for about 30 mins before I took off down the road.
So, tonight I topped off the system again, let it idle for about 45 mins, sometimes getting rpms up to 2500. Temps stayed between 185-199. So I took off down the road, made it about 2 miles then the temps went sky high to 235, no heat blowing out of the dash either.

Seems as if the truck is fine and the thermo works correctly at idling and not under a load. But as soon as the truck is under a load(driving down the road) it starts to overheat.

Any suggestions>?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just spoke to a friend of mine that says it sounds like a head gasket issue or a heater core clogging up when the pump starts to push coolant through there at a faster rate.
Is there a way to test for a head gasket leak?
Im going to bypass the heater core tomorrow and test.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
First check-clean the engine and look for coolant leaks to the outside from the back of the heads, front of the heads (less common but happens) and at the throttle body.

Second, are you losing coolant out of the expansion tank or is it magically disappearing?

Fan clutch condition? When the truck is at operating temperature, does the fan spin freely, or is there resistance?

Condition of radiator? Flushed frequently? How many miles on the truck?

My money is on head gaskets given the lack of heater function but let's rule some things out first.

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
Just a thought :

When you say you used straight green coolant, are you saying you put straight 100% ethylene glycol and no water, or straight premixed 50/50 ethylene glycol? Cause 100% ethylene glycol is like 22% less efficient than water for cooling, which is why we mix it 50/50 with water.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Even if it had been filled with straight water, there would be enough thermal transfer to cool the engine adequately.

I'd hope the cooling system of our vehicles could tolerate such things without serious problems.

I'm far more concerned with the "Brute Force" basics at this point.

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
Pure glycol carries about 35% less energy than pure water, and about 20% less energy than 50/50 coolant. So using pure coolant instead of a 50/50 mix reduces the capacity of a given cooling system by roughly 20%. 20% is not negligible when your system is operating at the limit, because of clogging for example.

Personally I think if the cooling system of our vehicles was anything better than adequate, people on this forum wouldn't be so fussy about the type of coolant they are using, and flushing the radiator, and so on. But that's only my opinion, and I am nothing more than a somewhat ignorant hobbyist.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Another point on using pure antifreeze is without mixing it with water is that it can & will actually FREEZE!! It needs to be mixed with water. Ethylene glycol, the principal component of most antifreezes, freezes at 8 degrees above zero, Fahrenheit. It is only when water is added that the freezing point is depressed. The freezing point of an ethylene glycol and water mixture drops rapidly as the concentration of glycol is increased to a mixture of about 60% antifreeze and 40% water.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im not AWOL.

I live in Atlanta and we got hit with some snow. Down here, flurries will shut this city down. People around here dont know what to do.

In the OP, I was referring to 50/50 mix.

Anyway, I pulled it in the garage today and flushed the radiator and heater core. Both were clean of debris and flow was great.
I topped the system off with a 50/50 mix. I will let it run tomorrow and get up to operating temp. Then I will check the fan. From what I understand, the fan should have some resistance when the truck is at operating temp and not running.

I dont see any leaks on the front or back of the heads, but will check again.
The truck as just over 100k miles on it.
No coolant under the throttle body, repaired that leak along time ago..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.