Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so here are my symptoms today in the LR3. Keep in mind its been excessively hot here lately the last 2 weeks, but today was fairly cool. Today I noticed the fan clutch would not disengage even at higher rpm's and speeds even speeds up to 45mph. And it was not hot enough out that I would expected to even engage in the first place. I didn't think too much of it at the time. However tonight I ran to get some carry out, and it was doing the same thing so I started getting a bit worried. I was returning back home and right about the time I got home and pulled it into the garage there was steam coming out of the engine compartment I assume from the coolant getting over pressure.

So I'm trying to determine where my problem is. At first I was thinking possibly water pump, then I thought maybe fan clutch but I wasn't sure if the fan clutch was really the problem or a symptom of the problem, so I started thinking maybe thermostat?

I want to also note on my way home I cranked the heat to maximum on both of the temperature selectors on the dash. It was blowing COLD air like the AC didn't even disengage even after 1 minute or so in that state.

Do you all have any ideas where I should start troubleshooting this issue? I am hoping it's the thermostat but I'm a bit at a loss.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wanted to also point out that I lost a good amount of coolant (approx 1 quart) and some of it appears to have vacated from the bottom/front of the engine compartment. I got the engine turned off very quickly once I noticed the heat issue, I also tried turning on the heater but there was literally 0 heat being dissipated through it. There is a good amount of coolant also splattered near the top part right of the compartment. I'm really leaning toward water pump right now. Could a failed thermostat cause the water pump not to turn function at all? I was under the impression they were always in a open state and when failed it would over cool the engine not overheat it. I could be totally wrong.

I'm kind of hoping its the water pump or thermostat both appear to be fairly cheap fixes if I am looking them up properly. I also want to note the engine when it did heat up it was very quickly on the temp gauge 6-7 minutes of casual city driving. The temp gauge in my estimation is completely useless as its more or less indicating, cold, normal, and oh @$^&%@ it's hot but some of that may just be how quickly it starts to heat up when it gets to a certain temp.

·
1,854 Posts
How many miles and what year?
Check for the Coolant Bleed Valve, it's made of plastic and they crack from age. Easy and cheap replacement.
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I took it up to the local shop today and the guy is pretty certain its the thermostat. His reasoning is today when I drove it up there the temp stayed extremely cool and the temp guage didn't rise at all. He says his best guess is i I tripped a failsafe on the thermostat and its locked in an open position now. Going to flush the coolant also. I hope this fixes it. I was going to do it myself but the price wasn't bad an dI don't really have anywhere to drain this orange coolant properly at my house anyways. I will post the results here for others later to see.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Don't replace just the thermostat. Bottom front sounds more like water pump as well.

Replace the entire thermostat assembly, which comes with a new sensor (gauge was not mentioned as reading abnormally)

Evidently the Fan clutch (and blades) if the blades have any chips.

Carefully inspect the water pump, or simply change it to be sure.

Hopefully you didn't damage anything or it will get really expensive.

·
1,854 Posts
When my thermostat failed, it was always in open position. Keeping engine cool.
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all the advice here. So far replacing the thermostat has resolved the issue. I will keep a close eye on it however that is for sure. I also went ahead and flushed the dex-cool out of it with regular green stuff. Normally for me as well when my thermostat has failed it would simply be stuck in a cooling state, however this so far whatever was broken seemed to keep the thermostat closed. If anything changes I'll let everyone know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.