Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I would like to say first off I have been using this forums advise since Christmas last year when my better half and I bought our '94 disco 1. for that thank you. I have combed the threads trying to find out a fix to some overheating issues I have had since I have replaced my engine for a new one. back story... we bought it with only brake line issues. I have replaced all necessary parts and she worked fine. after a while there was a lot of valve slapping noise, and feeling like I need to increase my level of mechanical aptitude, I replaced the engine for a used one instead of tearing the heads apart and having to machine all the parts to put it all back together (time+ money didn't seem worth it.) the replacement engine came from the same year and model of disco I am running so I figured it would be a simple swap. my wife and I spent about 3 days pulling the engine and dropping in the new one. I replaced everything that looked like it needed to be replaced. The water pump stayed in, along with the radiator and all other cooling system parts (aside from the thermostat of course). I replaced all the coolant and fluids necessary to start her up, with a little tweeking with the timing, and she started right up. I drove her home ( about 2 miles) and she spiked in temp., I replaced the thermostat in case it was a dud, went for a drive and same problem. I checked the heater core to see if there was a clog with my garden hose and water spilled through as fast as the hose was giving it. I have followed suggestions on placing her on a slope while filling her up with coolant with the same heating issue. it's to the point now that when it runs I am getting the same tapping sounds as the first engine, and I am getting frustrated. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jon:confused,:help

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
It sounds like you fu**ed up pretty big. The mistake seems to be to quote you "I replaced everything needed to be replaced. The water pump stayed, radiator, and all cooling parts"....wow. You changed an engine because of overheating problems and don't think any cooling system parts might have needed work. Put another engine in and now keep running it till stuff starts slapping...? Hoping what...it will just magically stop running hot. Change every single thing on the cooling system especially if its as old as 94 then come back and ask a valid question. Don't mean to be harsh but it sounds like you need it a little. Stop running it until you fix it. Do a coolant pressure test. Maybe hire someone.

Also when your putting it all back together put a lower degree thermostat in it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you biscuit, for your insight.
I understand it seems like a bad idea to not replace something that is a problem source. You have to understand overheating was never an issue, just my brake lines then tapping from aged valves. It would have cost me more to have the block and heads re-machined than the engine to replace it. I don't understand how a clean radiator, smooth pump with no play, and a clear heater core would cause it to overheat like that. I do not recall the exact temp I purchased for the thermostat, but I made sure it was the lowest I could find.:drink1:

·
disco biscuit
1,061 Posts
Okay..more sense and my bad if I read it wrong. So you're saying their was no overheat issues at all until the engine swap and the only thing you changed during that was thermo and fluid....?

Edit: and the engine you installed was a used engine...? From a local junkyard or where?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I purchased the engine from a guy I met online and I have seen video of it running. but as far as I am concerned it might as well been purchased in a junk yard. I have been trying to trouble shoot but I don't want to create any further harm to the engine. and yes the only thing replaced was the fluids and thermostat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.