Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had accidentally got to talking about my issues after introducing myself in new members. This is a better place for this topic.
I have had my 1998 disco for about a week now and concerned that it feels too hot. Being 21 years old I don't trust the gauge really, but it does read that it is good. Its black and it is TN and still 90+ degrees but it still seems excessively hot.
Well, Im no mechanic but between my job and now this disco, Im learning fast.
I have 2 bad valve cover gaskets. Parts are on the way. Oil level is still reading good on the dip stick. Is it possible that the overheating is #1 legit a issue and #2 could it be from/causing the gasket failure?
I have one of those lazer thermometers and took a shot after about 30 minutes running and then 4 minutes turned off.... fans blowing after the key is out.... this is the exterior temp....... Im putty in your hands. Mostly clueless, absolutely 0 mechanical experience. Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Drives like an old man
329 Posts
You're pointing the thermometer almost right on the exhaust manifold. It's gonna be hot! Instead, point it at the thermostat or radiator side tank. The temp gauge is supposed to tell you water temp, not exhaust manifold temp. By the way, the temp gauge is WORLD FAMOUS for being a liar. Get a standalone temp gauge and sensor and follow those temps closely. I use a Scangauge, which plugs into the OBDII diagnostic port under the steering wheel. You're right- high temps will cause head gasket failure, and vice versa. The biggest weak link in a Disco is the cooling system. Replace everything. Radiator, hoses, thermostat (change to 180 degree), make sure fan clutch is fully engaging, and while you have it all ripped out, replace the water pump, just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Don't forget that the DII gauge will not go up to the red until you hit 121C (250F) which is pretty hot (assuming the DI gauge is the same). It does not move in increments; it looks fine in the middle range and then will click to the red in one movement at 250F. So you are reading about 262F; that's pretty hot (although I think the temp rises some after you turn off the engine before it cools down).

Did your temp gauge not move? If not, I am wondering if it is working. Would suggest you get a third party gauge, plug it into the OBDII socket and watch the temps.

That said, you may already have blown a head gasket. Have a pressure test done to find out. If so make sure you do both sides at the same time.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
So yeah, if you are looking at the gauge in the truck, don't. That needs to be the first replacement you make on that thing - get a OBDII gauge so you can actually see what your temperature is. If your truck is overheating, you will know it... Report back what your temperatures actually are and we can determine if it sounds legit.

As far as overheating is concerned on our vehicles - it is a LEGIT issue. If your truck actually overheats and goes 'red' on the stock gauge, and you continue to drive it after the fact, then your engine is likely a boat anchor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts