Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a used 96 Disco with a 4.1 in it. Heater core is shot, so I bypassed that. Having an overheating problem still though. I replaced the thermostat, flushed the system and ran straight h20 with no antifreeze and still have an overheating problem. I watch the guage go to almost 90%, then you see the thermostat open cause the guage drops drasticly to normal, then it blows all the coolant out of the cap. The engine heats up pretty fast in the morning at start up. Im afraid its something severe like a cracked block or head. Any ideas ?

· Registered
37 Posts
I t blows coolant as soon as the thermostat opens?

Doesn't sound good. Does your exhaust steam?

Have your radiator rodded out for $45-$65. A cheap way to make sure it's the problem.

Keep us posted.

Eric

95 Disco 174k Miles

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Certainly sounds like it could be the radiator, however, are you certain you have properly bled ALL the air out of the system when you filled it? Wild fluctuations in the temp guage tell me there's an air pocket.
Any radiator shop worth their salt will tell you straight up that you cannot successfully 'rod' a horizontal pass Land Rover radiator due to their tiny passageways, and no raditor shop I have ever heard of would dissassemble a radiator, rod it, and resolder two tanks for $45-$65.
BTW your engine is a 4.0

Almost forgot. You hopefully have the two heater matrix feed (front of manifold) to the return (back of pump). you cannot simply clamp off the matrix as circulation is necessary.

· Registered
42 Posts
Antifreeze also prevents boiling, so removing the antifreeze will allow the water to boil.
What did you flush with? There are products you can buy that you can use to flush the system with, I presume you used one.
Before you try anything expensive, try a mix of 50/50 antifreeze/water.
Also you might check the cap. Instead of blowing out the cap the overflow should go into an overflow container. If you have a defective cap that does not allow the hot expanded coolant to flow back and forth between the overflow container and the rad as required, you may also get overheating.

Good luck
Ed

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fan clutch

My brother n law told me to check out the fan clutch. I had a buddy turn over the motor while I held the fan. The motor started and there was absolutly no resistance on the fan. Im gonna start with that and your other ideas. thank you all for your input. I am hereby renaming my Disco " Da Muny Pit "

· Registered
37 Posts
Hollywood Radiator on Santa Monica Blvd. Disassembled my radiator, dipped it , rodded it, fixed a few pin hole leaks and resoldered the whole thing for $45.

I was told by a friend in the area to expect to pay close to $100 but this is what he quoted me and he stuck to his quote.

Seems ok for now. Gas prices keep going up and thinks keep wearing out and breaking and my disco will be long gone before the radiator finally goes kaput.

Eric

95 Disco 174k miles with a raditor with a $5 rod job.http://landroversonly.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=27522#

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
62sunbeam said:
Hollywood Radiator on Santa Monica Blvd. Disassembled my radiator, dipped it , rodded it, fixed a few pin hole leaks and resoldered the whole thing for $45.

I was told by a friend in the area to expect to pay close to $100 but this is what he quoted me and he stuck to his quote.
I will give Mr. Hollywood credit for sticking to his quote, not something many do anymore, but your buddy is clearly smarter than Mr. Hollywood.
The only thing I have ever been able to get through one of these cores is a 1/16" pice of TIG wire, and that is so flexible, it will go through one spot, then keep bending and going thru the same spot, rather than opening up the remainder of a plugged core

· Registered
490 Posts
If you find out that it is the radiator and you want to fix any problem in the future... check out this web site.

http://www.griffinrad.com/company.php

They can custom build any radiator you want. There is a cool template you can download and work your own specs in. The cost is another story... but you will certianly not have to worry about overheating problems.

I pull a boat around in my Rover during the summer months (yeah, it sucks not having more power). I checked on heavy duty radiators... maybe after market. I was simply told to go to Griffinrad.com. Hey, it is free to look!

· Banned
73 Posts
One thing to look at is the area betwwen the AC condensor and radiator - when I opened up that area tonight I found LOTS of leaves ... and an insects mud nest!! :confused:

In the phto you can see the line that the leaves were up to on the lower right (radiator)

I might not have needed to install the 2200 cfm electric fan system :D :bawling:

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Black Magic said:
One thing to look at is the area betwwen the AC condensor and radiator - when I opened up that area tonight I found LOTS of leaves ... and an insects mud nest!! :confused:

In the phto you can see the line that the leaves were up to on the lower right (radiator)

I might not have needed to install the 2200 cfm electric fan system :D :bawling:
Tell us about your electric fan setup, please. I'm curious.

Thx

· Registered
111 Posts
land rovers rule said:
it may be that you might have to buy a new radiator off ebay is the cheapest way as this happened to my 1991 Disco early this year as it had an overheating problem and a new radiator sorted it out hope this helps !!!
Same thoughts exactly here man, if the things you mentioned didnt fix it, then its mostly likely the radiator/ radiator pump, a nice hit to the wallet thats for sure..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.