Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5/96 discovery 1 se7 4.0l
105k miles on the truck
new fuel pump assembly 40psi pressure while running no change when hot
fuel filter replaced
ngk 6es copper plugs with 8mm sti wires
4 new coilpacks
upper intake has been taken off thoroughly cleaned and rtv resealed
fuel rail taken off cleaned new bosch/mustang 19# injectors all new orings no leaks
motor looks clean inside shell 15w40 with napa gold oversized filters used
new air filter all hose clamps checked and turned
maf and iacv cleaned
sprayed the engine all around with 3 cans of ether with no change in rpm

havnt had the truck that long, starts right up hot or cold and drives well when up to speed(over 30)
vss is good

here is some freeze data hopefully someone can help identifying a problem
p1316
rpm 1180
load value 33.7%
coolant temp 210
short term fuel trim(1) 1.0%
long term fuel trim (1) 5.1%
short term fuel (2) 12.1%
long term fuel(2) 5.1%
short term fuel trim(3) 100.6%
long term fuel trim(4)100.6%
vs 11mph
fuel system 1 clsd
fuel system 2 clsd
erased the code drove it 5 miles down the road
p1316
rpm1459
load value 36%
coolant temp 194
short term fuel trim(1) 6.3%
long term fuel trim (1) 0.7%
short term fuel (2) 11.8%
long term fuel (2) 0.7%
short term fuel trim (3)100.6%
long term fuel trim (4)100.6%
vs 16mph
fuel system 1 clsd
fuel system 2 clsd

Truck starts right up everytime easily. seems to run slightly better while cool. Has a nice lope at idle, bliping the throttle past 2k rpm smooths thing out. No overheating plugs dont seem to be gas soaked and are clean gapped at .038. tested a new crank sensor without change. o2 sensors might be the next on the list.
any ideas???

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
I would check for oil,leaks and contamination of the o2 sensor connectors (mainly the bank 2 passenger side upstream sensor
Could be a current leak or an old and previous leak
Check and clean the connector and ensure good contacts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked the connections for the o2, they were fine. Recapped the plugs down from .038 to .031 and I want to say it runs smoother. Idle is tad low when warmed 600 rpm or so with rythem loping idle + or - 100rpm. Idle switch dosnt seem to change anything while its plugged up or not.I'll try to snag a spare from the junkyard and see if there is any change. Also try to run it by the shop with a better scanner to see what my o2 are doing.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I scanned it with a better unit and my o2s were working well but showed lean on bank 1. Dug in further confirmed spark and fuel hooked up a compression tester and it was bounces very very little. All the others on that side were within spec. Top of the piston was looking good from what I could see. Unscrewed the oil cap and the rockers were moving for the cylinder. Oil was oil coolant was where it needs to be so cracked head, gasket, burned valve(hoping). Regardless the right head has to come off to inspect further( those snap-on cylinder cameras would come in handy right about now). Any tips or tricks to the old pushrod? Uim,fuel rail, valve cover, exhaust Mani, lim, unbolt the head and wiggle out correct?

· Registered
49 Posts
Heads are pretty straight forward. Passenger head may be a pita due to compressor and it's mount. Also check electrical systems very well 1316 is random misfire alot of the time electrical issues will trigger them alternat or and battery check wouldn't hurt. I would just lift and tie up the compressor out of the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.