Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. I have a 4.6 gas HSE 2002 P38. About to go through my first winter in Quebec. We can average -20 and get to -30 on a bad day. I know about the oil change to 5w and of course tyre change is law here, but what about starting and coolant systems. Any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
1,989 Posts
Hi Peter welcome to the forum
check out the d2 sticky for maintenance on hi milers'
Block heater if it doesn't have one
Good strength coolant as well as any catch up maintenance

I am in southern Ontario , you definatately get more severe winter than me but a properly maintained truck will do you well in the winter.
Are you in the city or a rural area?
What type of use will the truck be seeing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks. I'm on the outskirts of Montreal towards the south of the main island. Normally in Winter it will see a 20km run from my garage (not heated really) to the railway station and then sit there accumulating snow and freezing....until I get in it again later that night. I don't have a block heater but sure can pick one up on ebay etc. What coolant would you recommend from Can Tyre?

She's only got 81k on the clock by the way.......

Will check out the d2 sticky.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Find a good used Webasto Thermo top C fuel burning heater and fit it

·
Super Moderator
1,989 Posts
Sierra
I am not familiar with these fuel burning heaters.
What do they use for "fuel"????

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Sierra
I am not familiar with these fuel burning heaters.
What do they use for "fuel"????
It works with fuel from the tank, it's connected on the vehicle's coolant flow and it has it's own recirculation pump, it's original place is on the bulkhead opposite side of the steering wheel, the D2's fuel pumps have a blanked port where the FBH's fuel pump's feed pipe is supposed to go cos there were modells fitted with FBH from factory(see attachment), i didnt have one but retrofitted it, the factory fitted one starts automatically but only when you start the engine and the outside temp is below 5*C but aftermarket units have remote controll or a timer and you can set it to start with let's say with 20 minues before you planned to leave home in a cold winter morning(without engine running) then when you start the engine the coolant is above 60*C(with the 5kw unit at temps below -15*C) and it rises to 90 in no time with engine running, there are recon units for less than half the price of a new one or cheaper ones at the scrapyard.... i bought mine from here: water heaters - www.carheaters.eu - Best heaters on the internet! New and used! Best prices! and it was like new with everything included, informations about it here https://www.webasto.com/int/markets-products/off-highway/heating-systems/coolant-heaters/thermo-top-c/

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,989 Posts
So they run on gasoline or diesel?.

I know you have a "huffer" sierrafery
Are you sure the will work on a gasoline vehicle?

$1000 holy crap :0

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think what you've proposed is a great thing to have in the arctic but there is a thinking that if you pamper the car then it won't work without it......so harden it up so it just gets on with it. Has anyone has issues with slow transmissions? I used to get trouble with the fluid being so cold it literally thought about it before it engaged.....at around -30.....

What about the suspensions......those poor bellows.......oh well.....lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts