Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one fixed the slider on the sunroof when it breaks?

The tracks appear and operate fine, my problem is just the little plastic tabs that lock the sunroof closed, and lift it in the "vent" position have broken off. I think this is a pretty common problem, but have not been able to find any decent imformation on fixing it. I really don't think it warrents replacing the whole unit, but that seems to be the only answer any service folks will offer. I have seen a few parts listings for "sunroof Guide", but it is just a measely little plastic tab. My guide works fine.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
did anyone figure out how to fix the sunroof popup?

Anyone get around replacing the whole guide on the sunroof? Any help would be appreciated.

My sunroof slides back and forth, but no longer pops up to vent, and won't pop up to seal/close correctly. Help?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sunroof

I just replaced my sunroof bc of the same issue. The dealer said it's caused by dirt particles getting inside. The resistance wears on the weakest (plastic parts). You will have to take the headliner out. start by taking the trim panels off (remove the seatbelts from the pillars first), then unscrew and unplug all the overhead accessories (lights, garage door opener, visors).

It's also a good time to have your local upholstery shop redo the fabric on the headliner if you have any loose areas. The foam degrades over the years, and there's no repairing it with spray adhesive as far as i know.

The next step is to cut the zip ties holding the drains. Use a mat knife and just press against the zip tie...it will pop off easily and the drain tubes slide off easily.

Using a friend's assistance, undo the 8 bolts around the frame holding the sunroof and it will drop. Ensure you unplug the connector before unbolting it. Slide it out the back, slide the replacement one in, and reassemble in the opposite order.

At this point, You're good to go.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The roofs are made by a Inalfa, the largest sunroof manufacturer in the world. parts are shuold not be impossible to find.

search for sunroof repair and call some shops to see if they have the parts for Inalfa roofs or take the assembly apart and take the broken parts to be looked at.

I took apart my runroof on my classic, cleaned and lubricated it completely and put it back together. prettry straightforward. works very well now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in the process of dropping the sunroof out of a 2000 HSK. I've unbolted the eight bolts but the front will not drop. I don't want to force/break anything. What am I missing? Any suggestions before I do break something?

·
Range Rover Solutions Electronic diagnostics FNQ
13 Posts
I'm in the process of dropping the sunroof out of a 2000 HSK. I've unbolted the eight bolts but the front will not drop. I don't want to force/break anything. What am I missing? Any suggestions before I do break something?
I haven't pulled one out in ages, but by memory there are bolts securing the electric motor in place. Which is at the front, this could be whats holding the front in.

Regards Russell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I appreciate the response. I had to force it off. Someone had used some type of sealant/adhesive to the front seal. Was able to clean it up. I tried to adjust the height of the sun roof to the opening to ensure a proper seal but I think I'm going to have to order a new seal. I guess its a good time to get it all done at once since I just replaced the material on my head liner. I really don't want to do that again any time soon. Thanks again for the response.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The tracks appear and operate fine, my problem is just the little plastic tabs that lock the sunroof closed, and lift it in the "vent" position have broken off. I think this is a pretty common problem, but have not been able to find any decent imformation on fixing it. I really don't think it warrents replacing the whole unit, but that seems to be the only answer any service folks will offer. I have seen a few parts listings for "sunroof Guide", but it is just a measely little plastic tab. My guide works fine.

Any thoughts?
My issue is the same, but I need help of a different kind. I have found a full used assembly on ebay but it's in the UK and I'm in the USA so shipping to the tune of £220 ($320) hurts. the seller has agreed to try to reduce the weight of the package by removing parts I don't need, problem is I don't know what parts I don't need. I know I don't need the motor, but beyond that I'd be guessing and I'd hate to get parts in the mail and not end up with the ones I need, or end up with a bunch that I dont' need. also time is a bit of a factor as the auction ends on Jan 16th.

Thanks in advance, also if you get to this after the 16th and have some input I'd still appreciate it, incase another one goes up for sale later, and I don't grab this one.

P.S. 1996 4.6 HSE

·
HeadlinerExpress
253 Posts
P38 Sunroof Repair / Remove Glass Only to Repair

The Discovery Series I & II are the only Vehicles that need to have the Headliner Board Removed to do Sunroof Repairs.

IF you own a Classic, LWB, P38 all sunroof repairs-such as replacing the Sunroof Rails are simply done from removing the Sunroof Glass & Drip Tray.

NO NEED TO REMOVE THE HEADLINER BOARD or Remove the whole Sunroof Cartridge.

Let me know how i can help, in most cases i have used or new sunroof parts instock.

Bill

·
HeadlinerExpress
253 Posts
P38 (Sunroof Rails) Left or right are only $185 each New, or $370 for the Set.

Other than a set of New Rails their is not much left in the means of moving parts in your Sunroof that would restrict Movement.

I can Supply you with a Complete Used Sunroof for $575 plus shipping 90 day warranty, most of these roofs weigh in a shipping box around 33 to 40lbs so shipping a complete roof can be expensive, figure on around $100 to $130 ups ground within the USA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
P38 (Sunroof Rails) Left or right are only $185 each New, or $370 for the Set.

Other than a set of New Rails their is not much left in the means of moving parts in your Sunroof that would restrict Movement.

I can Supply you with a Complete Used Sunroof for $575 plus shipping 90 day warranty, most of these roofs weigh in a shipping box around 33 to 40lbs so shipping a complete roof can be expensive, figure on around $100 to $130 ups ground within the USA.
Just bought some rails from your site, I'll report back on how they worked out.
Thanks for your help!:beer:

·
Registered
12 Posts
In my case, it was the "sunroof locators" who were the culprits. You can buy both RH and LH parts from the dealer for $5/ea. You'll have to invest about an hour to replace them, and that's it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In my case, it was the "sunroof locators" who were the culprits. You can buy both RH and LH parts from the dealer for $5/ea. You'll have to invest about an hour to replace them, and that's it.

Why were yours only the "sunroof locators"? What was your sunroof doing/not doing? The reason I ask is because mine opens fine, it just won't seal all the way up. I would love to hear that I only have to replace these locators and not both rails.
Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
What I Have Found Is The Front Stops Fail First (very Cheap Part And Very Easy To Replace) Then When Sunroof Goes Back To Park Poss The Stops Are Broken So The Glass Keeps Going And Goes Out Of Timming, Then The Next Time You Open The Sunroof It Will Fail, I Recommend Replacing The Front Stops And Cleaning Rails And Lubricating So The Sunroof Does Not Fail In The First Place

·
Registered
27 Posts
What I Have Found Is The Front Stops Fail First (very Cheap Part And Very Easy To Replace) Then When Sunroof Goes Back To Park Poss The Stops Are Broken So The Glass Keeps Going And Goes Out Of Timming, Then The Next Time You Open The Sunroof It Will Fail, I Recommend Replacing The Front Stops And Cleaning Rails And Lubricating So The Sunroof Does Not Fail In The First Place

Are the front stops a long flimsy piece of plastic that goes over the 3 pins that are sticking out? If so, I think that's the part that's broken or not working properly since I was able to remove one side completely simply by moving it a little. Do you happen to know a part number for these? If not, no big, i'm sure the stealer know what I mean right?

·
HeadlinerExpress
253 Posts
Something to consider!

"You should Not use a Wet Lubricant on your sunroof rails", this will only cause a greater chance for sunroof failure. Wet Lubricants will collect Dirt,Small partials of ground up leafs,twigs pretty much any thing that gets past your sunroof seal.

As RANGE68 mentioned is good once in a while to clean your sunroof rails!

Best option is to lubricate using a Dry Lubricant that repel's dirt and dust under extremely dry conditions such as Dry Graphite

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can any one tell me how to set the sunroof please,,,i have tried all the tricks in the hand book,
I fitted a new sun blind so while it was out i cleaned and greased all the runners/rails and moving parts, had to open and close the roof by hand to get to all parts, was also about to fit a new seal but the ussuall,scenario rusty seal where it fits to glass edge, so out came the glass and stipped down to clean, re-fitted cassette without glass and carrier frame, fitted frame afterward without the glass, ( being fitted later on ) the sunroof slides back n forth but stops as if there is an obstacle,, there isn't. same place every time.
do i have to have the glass in place to make the roof operate properly, i.e when roof closes it seals,, press again and it goes into vent,press to close vent and it seals,, mine from vent drops, then opens fully but stops third way as descibed earlier.
thanks in advance, Nick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Would you mind sending instructions as to how to remove & replace the sunroof glass & drip tray? I would appreciate if you could email me the diy instructions for the P38.

Thanks.:)

The Discovery Series I & II are the only Vehicles that need to have the Headliner Board Removed to do Sunroof Repairs.

IF you own a Classic, LWB, P38 all sunroof repairs-such as replacing the Sunroof Rails are simply done from removing the Sunroof Glass & Drip Tray.

NO NEED TO REMOVE THE HEADLINER BOARD or Remove the whole Sunroof Cartridge.

Let me know how i can help, in most cases i have used or new sunroof parts instock.

Bill

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly the same issue. How did you solve it? Was it the 'sunroof locators', if so how do I go about changing these?
Cheers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts