Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.

I have recently purcahsed a 97 P38 DSE at a "bargain" price. Of course now I'm running it some of the skeletons are coming out of the cupboard! That said I'm still in love.

So to my problem...

When I select demist there is little or no air being sent to the windscreen/side vents. My first thought after browsing various articles on the internet was the blender motors. At £1700 for a dealer repair I thought I'd found out why the car was so cheap.

I don't think it is the blender motor as the air does change around when I select different modes, working fine for everywhere except windscreen. Also when selected to windscreen it whistles as if the vents are blocked.

My question is. Has anyone else encountered this? Am I looking at a full fascia removel :mad: or does anyone know of an easier route?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Is there a book symbol on the hevac display? If there is it may be worth taking it to a dealer to check with Testbook,at least this way you'll know what the fault is for sure.
If it is the blend motors,it's worth asking one of the techs if he would be interested in doing them privately as they are much quicker to do than the book time would suggest.
Mick

·
Registered
490 Posts
More than likely the blend motors, as these are normal failures for HVAC. The book symbol only means some fault--it may or may not have anything to do with your problem. My 4.0SE has the book on all the time and defrost works fine. If you MUST have the demist / defrost, then you CAN do the repair yourself if you have the time, patience, and a little know-how. Instructions on how to diagnose / repair is at www.rangerovers.net. I have taken one of mine out and cleaned / lubed it. Other than that, I would say live with it and use the heated windscreen function. By the way, have you tried getting defrost by actually pushing the defrost button and then turning up the fan all the way with the temp up to HI or have you just used the PROG defrost feature? Make sure to try both.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am largely managing as you say by using the heated windscreen. The trouble is living right on the coast the air is quite humid even on cold days and I sometimes struggle to effectively defrost especially on the side windows (put the dogs in the car and theres no chance!).

Using the manual air controls doesn't make any difference in as much as the air flow changes as expected i.e

When footwell is selected the air only comes out of the footwells

If face level is selected the the air only comes out at face level

If face and foot are selected then it comes out of both

If Windscreen is selected then air (largely) doesn't come out anywhere and it whistle like a good'un.

If anywhere else and windscreen is selected then it whistles quietly and air comes out from the anywhere else but not the windscreen.

Thanks

Phill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.