Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have a 4.0 SE manual P38 which has developed a strange chirping (almost
dry bearing sound) that is present under acceleration. It sounds like it is rotational and like it is coming from beneath the air box?(although sounds do get thrown about). it doesn't sound like a terminal mechanical noise and isn't the belt tensioner. It is present when stationary but only when loaded hard - anyone any ideas???

It is also louder when cold

there is a few entries of the same fault on various sites but no one has positively identified it

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Regards

· Registered
23 Posts
I had a chirp from a pulley idle bearing. Thought it was the belt, which it really was, but the bearing was wasted and let the belt rub the side of the idle gear. My p38 is supercharged so it is different than stock but look for something similar.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I know this post is very old, but was there ever a resolution? I am having exact same problem with my RR P38 01 4.6L V8. Loud Chirping noise during acceleration. It's present when car is in park and present when the belt and radiator fan were off. I ran a smoke machine through the system and found no vacuum leaks. Replaced MAF sensor and IACV. I'm lost. It's very annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts