1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Full Photo Gallery can be found here: http://www.njlr.org/gallery/main.php

Organized the trip on muddyoval.com, had a show up of 11 vehicles;
1 defender-90 (Frank)
2 freelanders (wforlini/scrum)
3 DIIs (Myself(01), Gadgetrick(04) & cboy(04))
2 DIs (Alvin & John C.)
2 Jeep Wranglers (Justin & Dave)
1 Tacoma (Rimas)

The Story (a bit long winded, but oh well);

Met up at Paragon at 8am, Hit the trails by 9. Some people traveled there in the morning, others stayed at the hotel the night before. Everyone was from NJ, NY and VA.

Since we had a couple stock vehicles, and it was a lot of our first times there, we stuck to the mild to intermediate trails. One of the first obstacles we hit was a steep incline, with a large rock on the top, and then made a sudden sharp right hand turn. Everyone made it except for one freelander, so I attempted to winch him directly up, but since the sharp turn on the top, I couldn't get a good angle. We ended up having to put a jeep on the top of the hill, run a snatch block off of his front d-shackle, and redirect the pull from my disco.

Terrain was mostly rocky and dusty, with occasional water puddles, after a bit challenging rock path, we stopped for lunch. The d-90, two jeeps and John C's disco decided to attempt a rock garden right next to where we were eating lunch and had no problems with it.

After lunch we continued on the rocky trails, stopped for a group photo, and then went down to the "play area" .. a couple steep declines led down to the play area which we enjoyed.. once at the play area there was a rock pile to flex on, and a little pond to drive through. One jeep got stuck in the pond, and let the other jeep yank him out. The d-90 then took the same line, and made it through (you could see how well the lockers were working!) John C. then went down to play in a muddy river bed, got a bit stuck and while he was being recovered, his truck stalled and wouldn't start. After he got recovered, the truck started up, but then stalled again. Opened everything up, couldn't see any immediate problems, but dried connectors, sprayed wd-40, etc.. and it eventually started back up.

After leaving the play area, we found a nice rocky decline, we got to one point that was pretty technical. The two jeeps (who were on 33s & 35s) went down a rocky area, and i decided to try a less technical, but steeper decline to find a safe way down for the freelanders.. it was quite a pain to get the proper angle for approaching though, a sharp right turn and a tree made it difficult.. but thanks to the spotting skills of everyone there, i was able to make it down.. after me, we got the rest of the trucks down, getting faster everytime! By that time, it was almost time for the park to close, so we headed back and parted.

A big thanks to everyone who showed up.. it was a really great group of guys.. we all agreed that we should be having more meet&greets, and more offroading in the near future.. and even planning some larger expedition type adventures.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hey Boss,

im enjoying these pics!!

Looked fun.

·
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was actually another green d-90 there also.. when we were in the staging area he drove in with a group of Jeeps.. later in the day, when we were at the play area, he came around.. I think it was fairly stock.. but I gave him the address to this board and a few others.. no pics of his truck unfortunately tho.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
rmuller said:
There was actually another green d-90 there also.. when we were in the staging area he drove in with a group of Jeeps.. later in the day, when we were at the play area, he came around.. I think it was fairly stock.. but I gave him the address to this board and a few others.. no pics of his truck unfortunately tho.
yeah, i think i saw one pic of it in your album. that yellow 90 was pretty beefed. assuming they were similarly modified, could you discern if the 90 was superior/inferior to those two TJs. i used to own a '97 TJ. it was stock, as is my current 90, but the 90 blows it away, except for on-road travel (obviously).

·
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the D-90 may have had smaller tires then the one wrangler.. but the d-90 did have lockers and proper gearing.. but the d-90 could outperform anything there. Clearance wise, powerwise, traction wise.. i wish i had a video of it in the water pit.. he drove right into where the jeep on 35s went in, and just stopped, and then kept on the gas, and it just like crawled its way out.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
rmuller said:
I believe the D-90 may have had smaller tires then the one wrangler.. but the d-90 did have lockers and proper gearing.. but the d-90 could outperform anything there. Clearance wise, powerwise, traction wise.. i wish i had a video of it in the water pit.. he drove right into where the jeep on 35s went in, and just stopped, and then kept on the gas, and it just like crawled its way out.
beautiful...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Frank's truck is running 33s (SS), 3" Desert Rover lift, double cardon front DS, 4.11 gears with ARB front and rear lockers, Scorpion Racing jackable sliders, HD axles.

Ryan's friend in the Jeep could not engage LO on his TC so he did have problems going thru the mud hole.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Awesome pics! I was wondering what kind of roof light set up that red disco is using? I'd love to put more lighting up, but im $1,200 short for a sd rack.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
great pics looks like you guys had an awesome time.
thanks for posting

·
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AZROVER said:
Awesome pics! I was wondering what kind of roof light set up that red disco is using? I'd love to put more lighting up, but im $1,200 short for a sd rack.
That is Alvins' setup, he is signed up here, but not sure how often he checks his PMs.. you may want to PM him on muddyoval.com about it. from what I remember, it was a bar across the two roof rails, with the lights hanging down from.

As for a SD rack, if you really want one, just open your hears, keep listening to forums, post "wanted: sd roof rack" ads, and you'll find one.. I got one nearly mint for 700.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Devon in the UK makes a light bar for Discos w/o roof rails, it was in one of the LR magazines (white Disco with saudi grill just like mine).

You can get a used SD DII rack for around 850 or less. I paid 500 for my DI rack last year. Like Ryan said, keep your eyes and ears open.... you will find one.

Ryan, I was thinking this morning about Dave's problem with the TC... have him check the linkage, it might be hitting against the floor (hole in the body) and not fully engaging. He might have to bend the shifter or make a larger cutout. I had the same problem on my CJ7 when I isntalled a body lift. Maybe we should have a shop day at my place and fix it for him. Just a thought.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Inexpensive Light Bar

AZROVER, I made my lightbar from some Home Depot parts. Total cost was about $15.00. And it took me about 2 hours to make it, paint it, and mount it. It works great, does the job that it is intended to do, and is pretty easy to remove. The parts as I remember them are 2 pieces of channel aluminum, 1 piece of square aluminum tube, 2 endcaps, 4 U-Clamps, 2 screws with bolts and lock washeres to hold the channel aluminum to the square tube. The whole thing gets painted with Rustoleum Industrial Black paint, and it goes mounted to your front and rear stock roof-rack cross bars. The most difficult part was cutting the end of the channel aluminum (I used a dremmel, but you could use a hacksaw or similar tool). I will post a writeup of exactly how I did it. I only have 2 hella 500s, but the bar is designed to hold up to 6 lights. My lights are mounted upside down because my truck won't fit in the garage if they were mounted up, but you can mount the lights either way. I'll write it up soon for you and whoever else might be interested.

·
Registered
47 Posts
One quick note, you can use channel steel instead of the aluminum and it would be more solid than the aluminum. The plus side to this is that you can then mount limb risers from the light bar to the brush bar (if you have it). The aluminum would be too flexible to be effective. The aluminum is very strong, though. I have put my truck through numerous car washes (they are pretty violent here in NYC), and I have not even had to re-aim the lights in the 6 months they have been up there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
John, a shop day would be an awesome idea. You missed a pretty good day at the swap meet. If I would have known you weren't going to go, I would have gone over and woken you up and dragged you there. There was an OK turnout, but we needed more. I was looking forward to getting those tires you mentioned that you had. I had forgotten that YOU were the one with the website (http://www.4x4ag.com/). Are you still actively selling stuff? I might be getting some stuff from you soon if you are.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.