Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the good news is that the rover passed emissions. The bad news is that the rover had to be jumped this morning because the battery died. I dont know what happend. The other bad news is that the hood is a pain in the neck to open. Well thats all that is new with the truck.

· Premium Member
3,190 Posts
I went to renew my registration at the CT DMV on Tuesday. They asked if I had had my '85 Range Rover's emissions tested. I received my notice the month before the state stopped doing the testing thanks to the problems they were having with the private company conducting them. That was back in March of '04. Not a word since so I figured I had some time before I would have to worry about leaning out the carbs, retarding the advance, pouring dry gas into the tank, ect. ect. But no, I have to get the truck tested within the next 60 days or my registration will be suspended. The biggest pain is that I only removed the new cats in September and got the timing and A/F mixture just right so the truck is running great. Now the straight pipes come off, the cats are back on and the advance, ect has to be played with. These older carbed Rovers are so tempermental to begin with that the propect of doing all this tweaking again has me more than a little bummed. Four more years and I'll be exempt!!!

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Hey Paul,
All the more reason to get that property up on CB. Then register the 85 up there and screw The CT emissions. I had a major run in with them this week (not with the 110 which passed with flying colors, and yes I did back the timing off 4 from my usual 12 BTDC) with my F250. She kept trying to put the registered weight in the computer, instead of the door post weight, and it kept telling her it was an OBDII. But an 8600 GVW is 2 speed idle only, and doesn't even have an OBDI port. I had a DMV inspector meet me there a week later and he gave her both barrels, told her if she didn't know what she was doing she ought to get out of the business.
I think you should sell me your 85 anyway. Maybe Colin will trade you his 93.

· Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
I never said it on this board . But I hate CT emitions . They are not as strict as the CA emitions , but I heard that they are planing on doing that . BASTARDS!!!! .

Oh and the best thing about this is that $12 are going to the station owner to upkeep the machine, and the $8 are going to that private company where ever they are . So CT state get's a waping $0 from out $20 . But they get probly a ridiculas $$ from federal funds for this bullshit test . and where that comes from All of US in the USA . Every state that has Emitions get federal funds for doing that .

I don't see a point in it . There are more polution sorces then the cars . and Car's will polute anyway , it's not like there is no polition coming out of them if you get it tested .

Damn i forgot my next thought . Oh well .

But yeah I'm glad that you passed . I was woried my self that my truck might fail cause i had the check engine light on . and i had one day left to get it tested and had to register the truck cause the NY temps were about to expire . But it passed with the check engine light on ( two codes , O2 Sencor , and the idle speed thingie thing ) I got a new mass and those codes went away :) , but that was after the emition test .

BTW the guy was not femilyar with LRs . He spressed by accident the MODE botton , so he had Check engine , ABS , and that S lights on . He wrote down that there was 3 warning lights on . LOL .

· Premium Member
3,190 Posts
Terry, it's time's like these that make me consider your offer of Colin's truck. I had a wicked vibration, especially around 1500-2000 rpms. I checked the props, pulled the front, pulled the rear but it was still there. Drained the transfer case and I could have used the oil for a nice metallic finish on some rice burner! I pulled the exhaust and unbolted the transfer case and it's ready to come out later this morning. I can't wait to see the mess in there. I guess it's time to learn how to rebuild an LT 230. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to find a replacement box for this beast. I doubt that an old 230 from a 110 or an early 90 would be a direct bolt on but I don't know. That makes a new engine AND an transfer case in less than ten months. It's never over in a Rover!

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Paul,
An LT230 is incredibly simple inside. Piece of cake. Too Bad RDS is still out of business, he had the kits in stock. I can't believe it takes 5 months to turn his electricity back on.
You're gonna hate me, but I had and early (88ish) LT230 sitting here forever and the guy who rebuilt the Disco transmiok it about a month ago.
What happened to the one out of the green disco? Ratios may not be the same but they all bolt up.

· Registered
641 Posts
TsiArt said:
I never said it on this board . But I hate CT emitions . They are not as strict as the CA emitions , but I heard that they are planing on doing that . BASTARDS!!!! .

Oh and the best thing about this is that $12 are going to the station owner to upkeep the machine, and the $8 are going to that private company where ever they are . So CT state get's a waping $0 from out $20 . But they get probly a ridiculas $$ from federal funds for this bullshit test . and where that comes from All of US in the USA . Every state that has Emitions get federal funds for doing that .

I don't see a point in it . There are more polution sorces then the cars . and Car's will polute anyway , it's not like there is no polition coming out of them if you get it tested .

Damn i forgot my next thought . Oh well .

But yeah I'm glad that you passed . I was woried my self that my truck might fail cause i had the check engine light on . and i had one day left to get it tested and had to register the truck cause the NY temps were about to expire . But it passed with the check engine light on ( two codes , O2 Sencor , and the idle speed thingie thing ) I got a new mass and those codes went away :) , but that was after the emition test .

BTW the guy was not femilyar with LRs . He spressed by accident the MODE botton , so he had Check engine , ABS , and that S lights on . He wrote down that there was 3 warning lights on . LOL .
I thought it was an automatic failure if the check engine light was on. When I bought my VW a few weeks ago, the check engine light came on during the test and they failed it. The report didn't include anything that could fail it due to emissions. It was a TPS problem with a loose wire which I fixed right after I got the car. I'm running out of time to get it retested but luckily I can fill out a form for military members living out of state and get the test waived until later (hopefully indefinately) I really need to invest in an OBDII code reader since both my daily drivers are now OBDII as opposed to before when they were Lucas and Leaky SU Carb

· Premium Member
3,190 Posts
Terry,
I sold the transfer case out of the green Disco, the transmission went last month as well. It never fails or maybe that's the problem, that it does fail! I was going to ask if you had an extra 230 kicking around because I remember one outside the barn the day we picked up the Disco. Oh well.

I have a 230 in an '87 Rangie sitting in my yard. I'm going to pull it and drop it in the '85 just to see what is going on. I tore into the 230 in the '85 today and besides a noisy output bearing I couldn't find anything that would be responsible for the kind of vibration I'm getting.

While I had the truck on the lift I pulled the rear half shafts to check them and they were fine. I pulled the rear diff (taken from the green Disco) and it was ok. I can't feel anything in the front end that would lead me to believe that there is a problem there. Next step is the transmission if, after rebuiding the 230 or dropping in the one from the '87, the vibration is still present. But, I can't see it being the cause as everything seems solid there.

My patience is wearing thin!

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Paul, Did you check to see if the vibration was still there when you locked the LT230? I have seen the actual differential unit in the transfer cases cause vibrations when the carrngs wear. With that much meltal filings, it seems like it's still the likely culprit.
That LT230 sat by the barn door for a year and I couldn't interest anyone in it, and out of the blue, Phil St. Jean called one day needing one for a customers car. I told him I had one and before I knew it, there was a guy here to pick it up. He must have jumped in the car before Phil hung up the phone.

Another source of vibration, though not likely in your case if it suddenly appeared one day without any changes, but when people take their driveshafts apart and don't phase the U joints when putting them back together, the front joint fights the rear.
E brake drum? Just thinking. Only when in drive or standing still and reving?
The splines between the tranny and Transfer case OK? They wear too. (ask me how I know.) Pisser, huh?

· Premium Member
3,190 Posts
Terry,
The vibration is there whether the t/c differential is locked or not. When I pulled out the t/c differential there was wear on the copper (brass?) bushings which was the cause of the play I was experiencing but I doubt could be responsible for the kind of violent vibration I have. And, that vibration is there in gear or not, in high or low, locked and unlocked.

I ran the truck while it was on the lift with only the transmission attached to the engine and all was okay then. There was no detectable vibration in any gear or at any specific rpm. It's weird because the vibration is so bad it feels like a major component is bent. Nuts and bolts are coming undone it's so bad. When I pulled the half shafts on the rear the bolts on the left side were torqued properly but four of the five bolts on the right were finger tight!

As far as the prop shafts are concerned, they were rebuilt about 15 months ago and while I did remove the rear when I installed the 24 spline differential from the Disco a few months ago, this vibration came on all too suddenly for it to be related to those parts. The vibration was still present anyway as both the front and rear shafts were removed.
Paul

· Polish and proud of it.
631 Posts
AAXD said:
I thought it was an automatic failure if the check engine light was on. When I bought my VW a few weeks ago, the check engine light came on during the test and they failed it. The report didn't include anything that could fail it due to emissions. It was a TPS problem with a loose wire which I fixed right after I got the car. I'm running out of time to get it retested but luckily I can fill out a form for military members living out of state and get the test waived until later (hopefully indefinately) I really need to invest in an OBDII code reader since both my daily drivers are now OBDII as opposed to before when they were Lucas and Leaky SU Carb
Yes that's what weard about it .

Cause my narighber's car faild emition cause the Transmition was throwing some kind of code . That had nothing to do with combustion . But his car failed .

· Premium Member
3,190 Posts
Well my grey market 1985 Range Rover finally passed the CT emissions test today. I had to get the truck running like crap before it was "clean" enough but all things considered, it wasn't too hard.

When I had it tested back in mid January the truck passed the cruise mode with virtually no measurable hydrocarbons or CO. Unfortunately, at idle the truck was putting out twice the allowable amount of both pollutants. I had put the Catco 6905's in before the test but absentmindedly forgot to retard the timing. I usually run about 10 or 12 degrees BTDC. This is on a 4.0L with an Edelbrock 4 barrel and a few other extras.

So today I took the truck to my friends shop to mess with the timing before going for the retest. I didn't even bother with a timing light and I didn't touch the carb because it was really dialed in just right. I just loosened the dizzy and kept retarding the timing until I was close to the acceptable range I need to be in. I have no idea how retarded the timing got but I do know the truck ran horribly. I'm guessing it was probably around 6 degrees BTDC, maybe less. Once I got close I created a vacuum leak at one of the ports on the front of the carb.

Believe it or not but Agbar, the company that does the testing, doesn't even bother to check the engine for this kind of monkey business. Anyway, once I had created the leak the numbers fell through the floor. At cruise mode I had .03% CO (passing is 1.2%) and a ridiculously low 35 ppm of HC's (220ppm is passing). More importantly, the emission of CO was even lower at idle, 0% with only 58ppm of HC.

Needless to say, I left the station and went straight home to fix the timing and take care to let my exhaust system "breath" again. A little more than an hour later and the truck was back in shape and I'm good for two years. Only one more test in 2008 and after that the truck qualifies as a classic (25 years old) and is exempt from emissions testing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.