Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
if only one side is cracked, why would you want to put an "aftermarket" ex. mani on just one side?
your best bet is going to be to find a used one, or have your original just welded(maybe cheaper to do this)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Other than sound, do you really think headers would do any good. The GEMS system will cancel it out, unless you chip it.

BUT what would be cool is if you can replace those with headers that dont leak and are coated or wrapped to decrease the heat inside the engine bay.

I doubt seriously you will benefit from any performance improvements... the ECU is not your friend.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Well, the GEMs system monitors the air in the air out, the fuel/air mix etc.

Back in the day, we would throw headers on, modified intakes, high flow fuel pumps etc ... anything to get more air and more fuel to the oven.

We could manually cause this... we did not have the ECU by passing our modifications.

The GEMs system wants the air/fuel mix within a certain range and will cancel your modification to keep it there.

Obviously, certain things are good. You want the engine to inhale and exhale well. But going to far will be more money with little gain.

Anything that move the heat away from the engine and or engine bay is great... I just dont think you should expect the great performance enhancment that you would get with say, a 72 Challenger.

Like I said before... if you chip that Rover, and put headers on, now we are talking.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I guess I should have been more clear.

I am not saying headers and decreasing the temp is bad, in fact, for that purpose it is a great idea... Just dont expect huge HP gains.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Please let us know the results. Hey, if it works... I'll buy a pair of headers from you. The ability to wrap or coat those things really help in keeping temp down under the hood. That is worth it by itself.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
texasrover said:
Please let us know the results. Hey, if it works... I'll buy a pair of headers from you. The ability to wrap or coat those things really help in keeping temp down under the hood. That is worth it by itself.
I heard wrapping wasn't a good idea (moisture) but I guess if you do it right it shouldn't be a problem. I was thinking of sending my headers to Jet Hot, has anyone used Jet Hot before?

BTW, I have the Janspeed headers with the O2 sensor holes.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
texasrover said:
Not sure!

Do they do ceramic coating?
They do. Cost around 300 buckaroos

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John C said:
I heard wrapping wasn't a good idea (moisture) but I guess if you do it right it shouldn't be a problem. I was thinking of sending my headers to Jet Hot, has anyone used Jet Hot before?

BTW, I have the Janspeed headers with the O2 sensor holes.
if you lived somewhere that moisture was prevalant or you did a lot of water crossing wrapping the headers may not be a good idea unless they are made out of stainless. also the thinner the wall the more likely they are to crack from the extra heat retained by the header wrap.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
texasrover said:
no problem, i'm basically interested in the same things any additional horsepower woulod be a bonus.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A lot of people said that headers wouldn't help much on a 3.9 RRC either. I did it a few years ago on my 91RRC (245 MT's, ARB w/winch, roof rack, 3" lift) and the power increase was great. I did Janspeed headers, hi-flo cats from Summit Racing welded to the stock y-pipe and a flow master muffler. Long steep hills use to knock me from 75mph to 50mph. With the new exhaust I was able to hold 75mph or floor it and actually speed up going up hill!!!! We are going to put the same exhaust on JohnC's DI (3.9) then were are going to put another set on my 98DI 4.0. I will let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
beavis4g63t said:
were are you getting the janspeed headers from? i would buy a set for my 98 disco 4.0 today if i knew where to get them from. i emailed janspeed uk but have not gotten any response.
We sell them here in the US.

·
Registered
490 Posts
That sounds awesome! Let us know how it goes.

Headers for a Land Rover Disco are not easy to find. I have done a bit of searching and I find headers for older RRs and over seas applications (Australia) but no luck in the US.

You say they have the O2 sensor holes... Hmmm

This is sounding very appealing. Okay, I have to admit, you have my attention. How does one go about getting a pair.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
texasrover said:
That sounds awesome! Let us know how it goes.

Headers for a Land Rover Disco are not easy to find. I have done a bit of searching and I find headers for older RRs and over seas applications (Australia) but no luck in the US.

You say they have the O2 sensor holes... Hmmm

This is sounding very appealing. Okay, I have to admit, you have my attention. How does one go about getting a pair.
Go to this thread for some pics.

Give Adrian a call for more info (973) 342-3520

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.