Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 97 D1 4L V8. Going to be replacing this as well as some other exhaust leaks soon. Anything I should be looking out for? Any tricks to making this job a little easier besides gallons of PBblaster and some gaskets and bolts? Seems to be a common theme on this board lately so I got a wild hair and figured I would fix it.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
on my 95, it had just loosened itself and just required retorquing. If you have to change the gasket, it's not much harder. We always replace the nuts on the manifold studs though.

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have heard horror stories about some manifold jobs from a buddy that works as a tech at a local LR dealer. Now what about using the OE locktabs or just going with some split washers for the nuts? Wondering if that might work.

Thanks for the responses guys. I would leave it alone but my truck sounds like a leafblower when I accelerate, and it just drives me nuts!

:drink1:

· Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
If your buddy works at an LR place have him do it.

He will know the shortcuts and tricks and get it out in less time and a better job as well.

If the bolts break inside the heads your really screwed. I have seen that on tons of ford trucks.

Of course they are lucky they can get access thru the tire.

· Forward!
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
beezel said:
If your buddy works at an LR place have him do it.

He will know the shortcuts and tricks and get it out in less time and a better job as well.

If the bolts break inside the heads your really screwed. I have seen that on tons of ford trucks.

Of course they are lucky they can get access thru the tire.

I am not going to learn that way!:D I am a hands on kind of person, and I really enjoy doing the work myself. Sometimes I may be a little apprehensive about doing a job the first time, but after I have tried something I am good to go. So I would rather do it on my own. Besides he gets his fill of rovers during the week and doesn't really like to screw with them that much outside of work! His daily driver is a Toyota truck.......maybe that should tell me something!:D Nope, I will always stick with LR. Take care and thanks for the responses. I'll post something up when I am finished. Wish me good luck!

:drink1:

· Registered
490 Posts
Reading this thread I was near foaming at the bit to get this in...

"Northern Tool and Equip is having a sale on their cordless 18v right angle drill. It is compact and will get to that back rear bolt". LOL

I wished to hell I had that when I snapped the bolt off of mine. The only tool I had small enough to get back there was a small high speed air drill. It was about the size of a PPK. I snapped drill bit after drill bit because fast was the only speed on the drill.

One bolt at a time... give the PB plenty of time to penetrate... over night, all day. It will not evaporate. Take your time. For the cost... dont reuse those old bolts. May be a good investment in the future (hopefully you wont ever have to do this again).

· Registered
490 Posts
Badger1 said:
:lol: Thanks for the vote of confidence texasrover!:lol:

By the way I already have a Dewalt right angle drill!!!!!!!!!!!:D
Wished you lived near by when I changed mine out...

You will do fine. You can not predict what those bolts will do when you turn on them. A broken mani-bolt from time to time is a given. Dont let it get you down if it happens. Just a little added time... that is all.

Let us know how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.