Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Quickie Lube shop says the PCV Sytem on my '97 Discovery needs cleaning and they would be pleased to do it for US$500. Is this job complicated like Rocket Surgery or could a part time scientist such as I do it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Stay well away from those sharks, it's a real simple job you can do yourself for around $5.00 Just remove all the hoses and associated parts and flush with kerosene or white gas. Make sure all liquids have evaporated before putting them back together again.

John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Duh John good buddy! You make it sound easy. How do I know which hoses etc.? Can you give a clue as to what to look for? Are any parts needed? Does this job require removing the valve covers or is everything accessible? My Bentley/Land Rover Disco shop manual has little to say on this topic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What makes you think that your PVC system needs servicing?
If this is a lube shop "service recommendation for $500.00"… you may want to consider a 2nd opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good question PaulC. From what I've read, oil leaks at the rocker valve covers are an indication of internal pressure caused by stoppages in the PVC system. What is your experience?

·
Registered
7 Posts
None…sounds like your diagnosis maybe straight out of your manual? And you know how life goes …theory versus what actually happens to us or in this case to our Disco's can be surprisingly different. If it was me I would find an experienced 2nd opinion if possible. Other causes come to mind…gaskets, incorrect torque etc. However I don't have any first hand experience with a blocked PVC system, I wish I did so I could be more helpful & less advisory :rolleyes: ...I pretty much only know what I have had to fix or get fixed and what I still need to get fixed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for offering your thoughts PaulC. What I am doing is seeking a second opionion right here. Hopefully one with some knowledge and experience. I am sure one of us must have had this experience and might meet those qualifications.
In the meantime, what does it take to fix a blocked PCV system on a '97 Disco? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The PCV system isn't what causes valve covers to leak - being made in the UK does! :D Seriously, though: tighten the valve cover bolts (5/16" or 8mm 12-point) or pull them and replace the gaskets.

The 2 rubber hoses attached to the valve covers are the entire PCV system, and they commonly degrade, collapse, & leak, so buy some new ones. (I might have a pair...) When you pull the RHS hose (left as you look at the engine), you'll see a small plastic post inside the tube. Grab it firmly, but carefully, and pull it STRAIGHT out of the tube. If you pull to the side even slightly, you'll probably break it (which is only a hassle - not a catastrophe). What should happen is the oil separator comes out. It's a single plastic part with a central shaft & a series of about 6 discs, each with an edge trimmed off, alternating sides. They invariably foul with oil sludge and varnish, blocking the flow of crankcase vapors. Just clean it with a rag and then with carb cleaner and reinsert it CAREFULLY. If you break it, you'll have to remove the valve cover, then remove the splash shield from inside (8 phillips screws) and push it out. A new one is only a few dollars, but cleaning it works fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Steve for this valuable insight. Your info helped me identify which hoses to work on (I think!). Looking at my engine, I made note of the part numbers on the suspect hoses and then searched an on-line catalog to find and verify these items. Here is a link to the catalog photo of the suspect parts.

http://tinyurl.com/7242l

The hoses in the photo look like what is on my engine. The only thing I cannot see under my hood is Item 3, the "Oil Separator". What can you tell me about that?

Thanks again for your good info

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts