·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disco 2
V8
4.0 Bosch
120k miles

Hello team - need some help if you please.

Last month my head gasket blew out the back of cylinder 7, steaming out on to the bulkhead/firewall. Got it all torn down, carefully replaced HG, torqued all up, replaced anything that was needed, refreshed.

Upon filling with new coolant, I pulled the relay for the fuel pump and turned the ignition a couple times to prime the oil back up into the engine. Next I replaced the relay, cycled the key a few times to get the fuel pump to pressurize.

Now, upon attempting then my first start, it would not fire up, clicking starter solenoid. So I put on jump starter unit and still only clicks. Next, I bought another car over and hooked up to it to jump from a running car. Waited, tried to start still nothing - (Reads 13+ volts at the battery)

EXCEPT - I notice smoke(!!!!!) coming from under my center console arm rest - what the heck? Also, my hand brake is suddenly seized as I tried to pull it up and Im not sure thats related? Something melted??

Important to note, I managed to break the bracket the holds the inertia switch on the passenger firewall. I pressed the button and propped it upright and secured until I can replace it.

I have a flashing M&S and pulled the following codes below. I've never seen anything like this and Im hoping I didnt fry anything. I've triple checked all my connections were plugged in and I dont know where I could have gone wrong. I will add that the small wire to the alternator, I had to repair and notice that post it connects to spins when I tried to remove the nut/wire when I disassembled. Is there an internal wire inside the Alt behind that post? Would that be a contributing factor? Any help is appreciated. Im off to get a new battery shortly and will report back.

Any help appreciated!

Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology Monochrome photography

·
Premium Member
1,693 Posts
Hi, you'll have to remove the starter and see if it's turning that way and if it does see if you can turn the engine from the crank pulley to make sure it's not hydrolocked or stuck... if the starter has a short within or it can't turn the engine for some reason the voltage drop on the battery is too high then hence that faut code... or there's some electrical issue which needs investigation, the interior fusebox is a common failure

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Fery - thanks for the reply. I actually think I've sorted it. I was very concerned the ground voltage took a path down the wiring harnesses and melted those wires. It still think its possible that happened (my parking brake cable is seized still). However, Im certain I have the original ground strap secured to the head and to the firewall on the drivers side. So, I did two things:

1) I added a ground strap from the alternator bracket to a ground point on the body near the fuse box.
2) Installed new alternator

I wonder if the post Im referring to (the smaller of the two) broke behind when I was attempting to remove the frozen nut and I damaged something internally?

New battery to ensure all things are solid. Reset adaptations and violla! She fired up and runs!

I will hopefully get this up to temp and a test drive this week. Thanks again!

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

1 - 3 of 3 Posts