Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I've been busy the past few weeks trying to upgrade my rover for an upcoming show. One of my biggest problems was that my A,B,C, and D pillars were looking really ratty. Im not sure why, but all the felt like stuff or fuzz was coming off of them and it was just starting to look really bad. I talked to a few people i know who have rovers around me, and they said that it happens with their rovers also, but they just delt with it. I checked with an automotive reupholstry place and they wanted $350 to do the four pillars, plus an additional $125 to do the E and F pillars so that everything would be the same color. I decided than I would try to do it myself because even if i messed it up, it wasn't going to be worst than it was now. I took off all of the pillars, scrubbed them down, and bought some grey suede. I cut the suede into rectangles, put glue on the now completely naked pillars, and presed the suede on. After about 20 minutes i trimmed the suede and it turned out amazing. I was really happy with the results.

Anyway I just brough this up because I think a lot of people have this problem. If anyone is interested, PM me and I will give you the step by step instructions to do this. I have a P38, and it wasn't really hard at all... Here are some pics to show you the before and after... BTW, the total cost for me was about $30 to do all 6 pillars....

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CoachDitka said:
Looks sweet! I have the same problem in mine, and your solultion looks like the best I have seen, so hook me up with some instructions!

-Coach
Hey Coach,

1, Undo the pillars by pulling them off for the front A and B pillars. The C and D need to be taking off my taking off the little plastic thing that you push to move the seatbelt up and down. Pry that off gently, than just use a socket wrench to take off the bolt, I don't remember what size it is but its simple. Once the seatbelt is down, go to the sides and pry the pillars off gently. You may need to take out the screws on the black piece near the bottom of them. Its the same for the E and F in the back.

2, Get a scrubber and some floor cleaner w/o bleach (at least what I used) and scrub off all the old fuzzy stuff. It doesn't have to be completely naked, but if it is, it'll look better when its done.

3, Get a good instant cement.I used "weldwood contact cement" and it worked better than I could have hoped for. I got it at a small hardware store. Cover the edges with the supplied brush with the cement and then start covering the center of the pillars. (The edges are the most important.) Once the pillar is covered with the cement, gently place the cut piece of fabric over it, (it should be bigger and in a rectangle worked for me) Place the fabric on and mold it with your hands. You might need to cut little slits in the fabric to have it mold without any bubbles. leave it to dry for 20-30 minutes. Once it's dry you should see that it stuck along with the contours of the molding. Trim with an exacto knife, or scissors. You don't need to trim perfectly just yet, but enough to make sure it looks good.

4, Do the same thing for all the pillars.

5, For the A and B pillar, they just snap back on. For the C,D,E, and F, match up the pillars and stick them on. Cut a slit with an exacto knife through the oval hole that the screw goes through for the seat belt. You don't need to cut out the entire thing, just a slit works better.

6, Reattach the seat belts, and trim the fabric if necessary.

7, Your done!

Hope this works out, if you have any questions let me know! :wave:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.