Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a black 2001 Discovery and the hood is covered with little tiny dots that look like white paint specks. Upon looking closer and trying compound to remove we realized they were little "pits" or "holes" in the paint. This is only on the hood. Any ideas what this is? The car is garaged and has never been exposed to any caustic chemicals. The car is not used for off roading so has never had rocks land on the hood. Could this be a defective paint job that is being affected by the heat of the engine?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply but they can't be rock chips since the car is driven only in a quiet suburban neighborhood with no rocks or construction sites, and when on the highway has never had any rocks or sand or debris hitting it. Also no bad weather as it lives in sunny California. Also, if rocks were hitting the car there would be damage on other areas of the car. These are tiny tiny little pin prick size pits.

·
Mod. --- I'm watching you
324 Posts
I would also say its from road dirt/rocks hitting the hood. If it really bothers you, you can get a 3M clear bra installed. Its a 1/16 of an inch of clear rubber protectent. It will protect your paint from chipping for quite a while. Its can be expensive but its sounds like that's what you need.

·
Banned
527 Posts
rcarlier said:
I have a black 2001 Discovery and the hood is covered with little tiny dots that look like white paint specks. Upon looking closer and trying compound to remove we realized they were little "pits" or "holes" in the paint. This is only on the hood. Any ideas what this is? The car is garaged and has never been exposed to any caustic chemicals. The car is not used for off roading so has never had rocks land on the hood. Could this be a defective paint job that is being affected by the heat of the engine?
You could always purchase one of my Hood Blackout kits and cover it up. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.