Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a transmission filter intending to change the filter and fluid. Has anyone done this using the plastic pan filter? I've read some write-ups using a metal replacement pan but nothing using the plastic one. Sounds like the plastic one is harder to install.

· Registered
63 Posts
The plastic one is supposedly harder to install because you need to lift the engine in order to gain enough clearance to pull the old pan out and install the new one. If installing the metal one, you can simply cut the plastic vertical tube that prevents removal of the pan (the metal pan does not have/use this tube). I don't personally know how difficult this really is... the instructions make it seem fairly simple IIRC... just place a floor jack under a corner of the engine and lift it 2" or something like that. I can't remember if you need to remove a motor mount to let the engine move enough. I have instructions from the manual somewhere if you want them... just shoot me a PM with your e-mail and i'll forward them on.

· Registered
63 Posts
Good advice. It's called the Mechatronics Guide Sleeve and they have updated the part with (supposedly) a better one. Mine leaked, but I only noticed it when I had the front of the trunk up on jack stands for a long time and a small puddle of tranny fluid developed underneath. You have to drop the pan to replace anyway, so it's definitely a good thing to do. Bbyer has lots of good info on this sleeve and the mechantronics unit in general if you're interested.

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good advice. It's called the Mechatronics Guide Sleeve and they have updated the part with (supposedly) a better one. Mine leaked, but I only noticed it when I had the front of the trunk up on jack stands for a long time and a small puddle of tranny fluid developed underneath. You have to drop the pan to replace anyway, so it's definitely a good thing to do. Bbyer has lots of good info on this sleeve and the mechantronics unit in general if you're interested.
Where can this part be purchased?

· Registered
55 Posts
Go to ford dealer or napa auto and get the ford part - better design - pm me if you want me To look up part number - ammco replaced mine - I didn't fancy jacking up engine ,
Removing exhaust etc. with lift and pro tools ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.