Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently purchased DII with 116K total, supposedly low miles on new SB which PO bought when gaskets went out at 80K last time (?). Upon disassembly found nipple on expansion tank cracked and leaking, was having slight exhaust type noise (?) haven't concluded where that was/is coming from yet. So... my gaskets don't show anything catastrophic, tho cyl 2 might show a potential leak? Cyl 5 IS a bit cleaner than the rest along with combustion chamber... any way this looks normal to you guys? To me all sleeves look to be equally positioned, can just hook my finger nail on all of them. Anyway, here's some pics please let me know what you detectives think. Thank you. Oh, btw no block test yet :complain: that was duma me.

· disco biscuit
1,062 Posts
That cylinder 5 doesn't look extremely clean like the others I've seen steamed. They get steamed cleaned when water is inadvertently sprayed into the cylinder through head gasket...or more scary scenario...the water seeps by a slipped liner. The water injection from one of these causes steam...hence the name "steamed" cylinder.

Number 5 cylinder is very common for the steamed /slipped liner deal. Almost all I've seen posted on the web were this cylinder.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's not super cleaned, but it is different, seems like it's the tiniest of cracks barely seeping... any other possible explanation? Honestly, if I get this all back together and I see just the slightest pressurization or coolant loss, I'm going to hit it with some Bars leak copper and block the heater core off <nefarious laugh> ;-)

· disco biscuit
1,062 Posts
It don't look that bad and it could be the h.g.....I think it has a chance of being the other. Research it...make your own call.

Here's random stuff to start

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57104 Pinning sleeves, how to? Anybody?

http://www.landroversonly.com/foru...the casting of the Rover V8 blocks and heads.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks will check the links out. I just don't understand how that piston could be cleaned without water getting in there, and there's no water jackets near the middle cylinders, so like I said, open to it but cant imagine another reason besides a small crack??? The other issue is, why are all my exhaust valves the same color as the intake valves? Should be brownish. Could it just be running real rich, need to search that too yay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.