Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:frown:

I'm sorry that this is the first time i have posted here. I have a 2000 Disco 2 with about 147k on the clock. today I changed the tranny fluid with a kit from Atlantic British. Just the pan gasket and filter which came with it's own two O rings. I drained the fluid which seemed discolored but not black or foul smelling. The car shifted fine before. I even had taken it off road in low range with no issues. I replaced the filter and fluid using Castrol Transmax Dexron/Mercon Domestic Multi-vehicle (ATF) Automatic Transmission Fluid that I got from Advance Auto. I used their select a vehicle function to match the fluid. I had the truck on ramps with the rear lifted and supported on jack stands. From what I could tell, the gtruck was level. I filled the pan until the fluid ran out using a piston transfer pump. I then capped the pan, started the truck put it in reverse to back it off the ramps (after removing the stands of course) and when level I checked the fuild by pulling the fill plug. and lots ran out. I didn't wait for it to stop. I capped it, shifted through the gears and rechecked the level. after which the fluid still ran out so I recapped it and tried to see if the vehicle wiuld move.

I had no gears. The low range lever was fine. I would gently rev it in gear, but nothing. I moved through all positions but nothing. tried low range, nothing. there is no noise what so ever. We got this car used but I have no idea how many previous owners. I don't believe all the dash lights work either by looking at the shop manual. :hmpf:

Could it be the pick up tube is misplaced? I attached it without difficulty. the three bolt went in with no problem, so I can't imagine it was misalligned.

I have searched some of the forums but can't find a simliar problem.

I feel completely distroyed here. After such a simple thing to do.

Someone please help!

Christian

· certified idiot
694 Posts
you dont actually say it Christian but you need to have the engine running when you fill the transmission so the transmission pump is working. If you just filled it to overflowing and then capped it without the engine running you will be around 2 litres short on fluid.
Maybe you did have the engine running but as you dont specifically say so I am guessing you did not.
can you confirm that you filled it with the engine running or not?
cheers
Barri

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Barri thanks for responding!

I did have it running when I was checking the levels. talk about scary! burned my arm a couplle times too. I'm going to to pull down the pan again this morning to check the O rings to make sure they're seated right. Saw that I another thread My wife found.

I was also going to try and put it all the way up on stands and run it and fill it. has anyone tried that with non-lethal results?

Christian

· certified idiot
694 Posts
Thats how I do it - up on axle stands and use a cheap pump to pump the fluid in.
it certainly keeps you on your toes.
if it was driving before then it has to be the filter o rings.
cheers
Barri

· Registered
240 Posts
I changed my filter and tranny fluid a couple years ago and thought I had enough fluid but I didn't. It would not shift properly through the gears. It was horrible and I thought "what did I do"?! So I rechecked with it level and was able to add more fluid. Definitely running and shifting gears. Next time I will be sure it takes the amount of fluid it calls for. After adding the additional fluid, it was running great again.

-Heather

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone so far!

I pulled the pan, and then the filter, after failing to remove the pick up tube. I surmised that the PU tube was not the fault. As I carefully removed the filter (felt like I was in the OR!) I looked at the mating surface and I believe the large O ring was dislodged. It certainly wasn't seated in its proper place!

I've reinstalled everything, taking a coffee break and will torque the pan bolts (11Lb ft per manual) and refill the pan. I hope the clutches aren't toast. I did rev it a lfew times in frsutration. but I smelled everything and I didn't smell anything like a burnt odor.

More to come...
Christian

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to elaborate a little, I follow your instructions along with what I saw on another thread from a similar issue. I took everything down to the filter again, and reinstalled. filled, shifted, filled, checked, ran shifted again, and finally saw a "2mm bead running from the fill hole." :)
So far no shifting issues, no delayed engagments, nothing.

Thanks again to everyone.

Christian

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad you fixed it and are up and running again ;)
indeed. I thought I was going to have a heart attack when it didn't work! I messed a little with the CLD switch when I found it bought though I had returned it to it's original position. There was no problem driving it after that even off road. But my wife was right, it was something simple.

My oldest and I are going to do the transfer case and the axles tomorrow!
80W90 is what I have on hand and from what I've read that seems to be fine. ;)

Thanks again!

oh, btw, did I read correctly in that all these trucks come with CDLs but just not always CDL levers? The Ashcroft install video is for an Ashcroft product right?

MacDad

· certified idiot
694 Posts
sounds good.
remember to leave the emergency brake off or the cable is so tight you cannot get to the fill plug on the transfer case. Undo the fill plug before emptying just in case you cant undo it! I use 75w90 synthetic. some people swear by 90w140 but I have never seen the need.
All have the CDL except some 2002 and all 2003. I made a lever for mine. By 2004 they are back with a lever factory installed. Mine has a shifter cable from a D2 adapted for a second gear lever on the high low changer
cheers
Barri

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.