Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 Disco 2 (US) with 70k miles. She's sat with little to no use for almost 8 years because of a faulty rear air suspension... I decided it's time to get her back on the road, so I ordered the 2" Terrafirma coil conversion/lift kit. The lift is on, but I am experiencing the widely discussed Fuel Pump Relay/Inertia Switch/CCPS/Fuel Pump/Fuse issue... We are fairly capable when it comes to automotive works having owned a small repair shop for a number of years, but this has us stumped... We can close the fuel pump relay manually and everything works as it should, but it won't close on it's own. We've tried a different relay, but same thing. It doesn't appear to be getting the signal to close the relay to energize the fuel pump... The inertia switch has been reset. NOt replaced. Is there a way to test the inertia switch or bypass it to see if it is causing the problem? I'm not one to just start replacing things without knowing what is wrong...

So far we have...
1. replaced crank case positioning sensor (brand new)
2. reset the inertia switch
3. cleaned fuel pump relay
4. replaced fuel pump
5. tried everything else we know of...

Please HELP!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
To rule out the inertia switch you have to unplug it and bridge the pins in the plug, though if you say everything works as it should with the pump relay manually closed i doubt it's the inertia switch cos it's on the main relay's coil and that would stop other systems too not just the pump but it gives the feed for the pump relay's coil too, though better replace the main relay(R9) too just to be ruled out... for the pump relay issue remove the relay and check if you get voltage between body and cavity for terminal 85 of relay with ignition on(terminal disposals are drawn on the relay), if not replace the fusebox, if yes it means that the earth path from the ECU doesnt reach the coil so go to connector C0449 pin 10(blue/purple wire) and see if you get earth there with ignition on, if yes you have to get to the back of the fusebox to C0573-9 to see if the earth path gets there, if it is and the relay still doesnt work the problem is within the fusebox ... if no earth at C0449-10 you'll have to check at the ECU's plug.... you need RAVE for that to follow the earth path from ECU to fusebox in the circuit diagrams and see the connector view in the electrical library, an electrician should manage with it... if you dont have full RAVE copy these:
1. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ujid99rmo...S MY00 - Electrical Circuit Diagrams.pdf?dl=0
2. https://www.dropbox.com/s/a5loxdjksu1uli2/Discovery 2 NAS MY99 to MY03 - Electrical Library.pdf?dl=0

the relevant diagram is at Engine management second page, for connectors see Electrical library - Connector views, good luck

·
Registered
188 Posts
We are fairly capable when it comes to automotive works having owned a small repair shop for a number of years, but this has us stumped.

So far we have...
As long as your capability includes electrical troubleshooting besides jumping a relay there's much info available in the Rave downloads as previous reply mentioned.

Have you tried removing all connectors in related circuit, checking for dirty/corroded contacts, cleaned and reseated? Or bad gnd? Both possible after eight years of sitting.

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
number 9 x2 if its sat for 8 years i would check all grounds - the relay switches to ground and if your grounds are poor it just wont switch.
cheers
Barri

·
very disco
2,985 Posts
There are many threads in the RR subforum. Feel free to start a post there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.