Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The motor has had the top end rebuilt, Heads taken apart cleaned and glass beaded, new valve seats and valves reseated, new timing chain, timing chain gear, and new crank gear, new oil pump gear, new oil pump, new water pump and thermostat, basically the whole 9 yards on the top end. Now for the problem we face. We are 99 percent sure that the timing chain and crank gear marks are lined up right, 3 of us looked at it to be sure, but we have now figured out that the mark we made for the dizzy was cleaned off during the cleaning process, so we have no place to start to put the dizzy back in the motor but by visual reference, but it's not right. It will run but back fires when put in gear, so we have pulled it out many times and reinstalled to no avail.
We TDC'D the motor each time and are still no closer to having it right.

We have watched every video we can find and looked at hundreds of pics to see how the dizzy sets in a 95 disco 1 and have noticed that they are not all the same.
So the question is If you tdc the motor and line up the rotor with the number 1 wire on the cap then how do you know where to point or orient the dizzy when dropping it in the motor ??????? with no reference marks at all!!!

Like I said before it will run but timing it at 6 btdc + or - 1 it just back fires real bad when put in gear and driving it. we have moved it all over the place with the same problem.
Hopefully someone has been there and done that (and yes I pitty you but also need the help) Thanks

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Alright.

Ignore everything anyone has ever told you about this process.

Crank the engine until the number one cylinder is at TDC on compression.

Insert distributor. Observe where the rotor is pointing. The cap tower that corresponds is now the tower for plug wire number one. Attach plug wire number one here. Going clockwise, attach plug wires 8,4,3,6,5,7,2.

Crank engine, adjust timing for best idle, or use timing light.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wire are still on the cap in the right places, the rotor is pointing at 1, but with dizzy in hand you can move the cap so far right and left with rotor in place at 1, so that said is there any way to orient the vaccum when dropping it in or place on motor to point rotor when droppint it in?
I totally agree what PTSchram says but know just dropping the dizzy just anywhere won't work we have tried so he said insert dizzy and observe where the rotor is pointing( again where on the block or radiator or fenders should it point so have a starting point)
And have adjusted idle by hand and also used a timing light to get nice idle and put it in gear and drive it and it backfires and or just has no power my son drove it home about 5 miles and said he had to floor it to get it to 40 mph
so we tried it again to tdc and reinstall and same problem time it it sounds good idles good and put it in gear and bang (backfires)

I guess I should clarify that this vehicle is a 95 disco 1 ( I know this is where I posted but some will still wander what vehicle)
Also should say that we did this same job to a 2003 DISCO 2 within the last month and it runs better then ever.
of course it has coil packs but still no problems with timing gear marks so that's why we are pretty sure that's not the problem.

I have just been asked about the slack on the timing chain, If the slack should be even on both sides or should it be to one side or the other, Ours is to the drivers side my son told me, I don't know if it matters as long as the marks on the gears line up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay last night we took off the timing cover to check our timing marks, I think they were off a tooth, so we went through the process of retiming it, by TDC'ing the motor relining up the timing marks and put it back together and we still have the same problem with back firing under load and alittle at idle. Since it was dark we will have to pull the dizzy and see if we move it a tooth and try again, which bring up the original question. If we line up the rotor at #1 on the cap does it matter how we drop in the dizzy, in reference to where the vacuum is pointing we think it was pointing toward the power steering belt. and if the newer stepper motor has gone bad or the newer tps, both are only a couple years old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.