Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a returning member to this forum. I am currently in my surgery residency here in Gainesville FL and due to the limited amount of time I spend outside of the hospital have sadly neglected my '03 Disco since moving here 3 years ago. My check engine light came on approx 1 month ago but she was running fine... Then 1 week ago there was a really rough idle and intermittent acceleration jumps on the road. 2 days ago the coolant hose blew out right before the connection to the radiator. I have replaced the hose segment and that seems to be OK now but the car is still running very poorly and I hear a gurgling sound which I assume is the coolant reservior when I hit the accelerator. I went to go get the codes today, here they go P0300, P0301, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0307, P0118, P0171, P1319, P1412, P1300.
I would really like to try and fix whatever is wrong myself (if possible) but I really need some guidance/help. If anyone can assist me in any way it would be greatly appreciated, (surgery residency doesn't pay much and I don't want to let go of my Disco!!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
well the first thing i would start with is plugs and wires. its not an easy job if ya don`t know what your doing. than i would clear the codes and go from there. hopefully your coil pack hasn`t crapped out. you have air in your cooling system causing the noise. so thats my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
How many miles on the truck, when was it last tuned along with new 8 mm plug wires, how is it running right now and how long has you service engine light been on? Did alot of these codes come on after the hose blew off?

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Sadly, it sounds like a blown head gasket.

It's likely an internal failure, causing water to seep into the compression chamber and affect the ignition of the cylinders. The hose blowout you had was likely from exhaust gasses entering the cooling system and creating a high-pressure scenario. As mentioned above, the gurgling noise you hear is water rushing into the heater core behind the dash because the system was improperly bled. Download the Rave manual and complete the (easy) bleeding instructions they describe.

Are you losing any amount of coolant? Do the codes return after you clear them? What does/did the temp gauge do when you drove it most recently?

I'd start by pulling the plugs in the affected cylinders. If they look steam cleaned or if you can see or smell any evidence of coolant you have found your problem. If they look to be in decent shape I'd replace them and the wires - followed by the coil pack on the affected bank if the plug/wire change doesn't fix the problem.

Assuming you haven't slipped a liner or cracked the block a head gasket replacement can be a pretty straightforward job considering access to the heads is pretty easy. If you have the right tools and a place to work, it shouldn't take more than a weekend to pull the heads, get them machined, and then to reinstall the new gasket components. Take care to replace the head bolts with quality units as they are designed to have stretch in them and are not reusable. Doing it yourself will cost only a $500 or so after you factor in gaskets, head bolts, machine work, oil, coolant, and misc. items. A shop can typically charge upwards of $1500. Likely more in Gainesville as the shops there have made fleecing UF students a pastime of sorts.

I take it that you work at Shands? I graduated UF in 2011 but unfortunately I didn't have my Disco then so I can't point you toward a reliable LR mechanic up there, but I have heard that Carrsmith on 13th is decent when dealing with imports so you may want to let them have a look at it. Before deciding on anything let us know what they say and we may be able to offer counter-advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts