Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 disco II and I am trying to find out what the tapping noise is when it is warmed up. I have been reading your posts and feel like you might be the person who can help. the problem is that I have looked at everything and still can't find the problem. First thing I did was check the oil Pressure which was very good. I then looked at the valve train and replaced the lifters and the cam because they were worn. still tapping while warm. I then read the post about sleeves and decided to look at those, while I had the oil pan off I replaced the rod journals and the crank journals, no sign of sleeves moving. is there something I am missing? my next thought is to replace the rocker arms and push rods. I would appreciate any help you can give.

· Registered
145 Posts
Tapping noise when hot

I then read the post about sleeves and decided to look at those, while I had the oil pan off I replaced the rod journals and the crank journals, no sign of sleeves moving.
I'd like to know how you can tell from below whether you have a slipped liner. I have exactly the same symptom; a tapping sound when hot. I've done all the same things you've done, including replacement of the rocker shafts and arms, cam and lifters, and still the noise persists.

Does it sound like this? They tell me that's the sound of a slipped liner. I'm not real happy about it, either.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes it does wmsimpson, what I did was drop the oil pan and mark where the bottom of the sleeves were, then I put the oil pan back on and let it run till it was hot and started tapping, removed the oil pan again and looked to see if anything moved.i am not a rover mechanic so I could be wrong. Nelson I would look at your crank journals and rod journals if you already pinned the sleeves, I got rid of some of the noise by replacing them, I had a lot of in the crank and it was making a lot of noise when hot too. How did you pin your sleeves Nelson?

· certified idiot
694 Posts
This was done and posted by a member here. I have not done it but its on my list. Many other members have done the pinning. If you dont want to do it yourself then take it to a shop but this is what they will do - or something similar.
Its not as difficult as many seem to think.
the pdf is too large to post ( the forum limit is 19kb for a pdf?) if you PM me with your email I will email it to you.
cheers
Barri

· Registered
102 Posts
Your sleeves could be fine, but you could have a crack behind the sleeves on the cylinder wall. Perform a leak-down test and see if those cylinders are holding pressure. I had no signs of sleeves moving either on my 2003 when I opened it up, but it failed a leak-down test because of a crack behind the sleeve.

· Registered
71 Posts
yes it does wmsimpson, what I did was drop the oil pan and mark where the bottom of the sleeves were, then I put the oil pan back on and let it run till it was hot and started tapping, removed the oil pan again and looked to see if anything moved.i am not a rover mechanic so I could be wrong. Nelson I would look at your crank journals and rod journals if you already pinned the sleeves, I got rid of some of the noise by replacing them, I had a lot of in the crank and it was making a lot of noise when hot too. How did you pin your sleeves Nelson?
Like everybody else who's done it. Drill and tap each cylinder wall for a 1/4-20 set screw and locking nut. Google it if your new to Rovers. In the pic you can see 1 hole drilled and 1 set screw in place(some people drill for 2 screws on each cylinder). btw...Yes that's my engine in the pic.

Attachments

· Registered
102 Posts
thanks rwilson, I have not done a leakdown yet I guess I never thought of that. if it does fail I guess I will be looking for a new block then?
I would recommend fixing the block you have by getting Top Hat / Flanged Liners installed. I'm going through this exact process right now, and plan on documenting the entire thing b\c I think almost every 2003/2004 D2 owner will be encountering this problem, and want to provide details for a great longterm fix without having to shell out $9K+ for have it done by a good LR mechanic.

· Registered
71 Posts
Here.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ww.landroverresource.com/doc...g_V8_Liner.pdf Obviously easier to do with engine out of vehicle but it's been done many times "in vehicle",(like I did). You need to remove both exhaust manifolds and the starter, plus other small things. It helps if the Disco is not your DD, in my case it is. I had to knock it out in a week end. If you go for it be careful drilling! I snapped a drill bit in the block wall and had a "bit" of a scare!.. pun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.