Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a 95 Discovery. It does not like cold weather. That is a problem as I live in NH. I have just rebuilt the starter, have a new battery and have put in a new alternator within last 9 months. Once the temperature goes below 35 or so it will turn over but not "catch". I did some research last year on line and people acted like this was an isolated incidence and I couldn't find any answers. I broke down and brought it to the dealer. They wanted me to buy a "cold weather enhancement kit". I said if there is a kit for this, this must be common. The dealer said it was-this problem is "inherent" in Discoverys between 93-95. The kit consists of a cold weather starter, battery and prom? coil or chip. The dealer said that you couldn't do one thing without the others, and as I just did the starter and battery that I would have to spend $675.00 for parts and labor. Other than that to buy a block heater. I have one other issue-the key will not come out of the ignition. This is a new occurance-dealer wanted to replace the ignition for $650.00. I took it to a locksmith and no luck. Other than these issues I love my truck. Can anyone help? thanks in advance.....Lily

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
A good lock smith can free up your old key.
As for the starting problem,how long has it been since you changed your fuel filter, plug wires, plugs?? Do you get any chec engine lights/codes? Have you verified that you have fuel pressure at the rail when cold? Have you verified voltage at the coil?
Next time you go to cold start it, turn the key to the second position, don't start it, and then turn it off. Do that twice and then try to start the engine, let me know what happens.
Mike J.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Chip

Your dealer is right about the cold weather kit as far as the chip in the ECU goes. I had some problems with stalling and bad running some time ago it turned out to be a bad ECU I got a used one from Portland the Chip # on the board I was told by My LR Machanic was not a good cold weather pack number and to buy a new chip $40 or so. However so far touch wood it look to be OK.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My 97 Disco ignition key kept sticking, and I had it replaced by the dealer for about $600 in 2001 (only had 26,000 miles on it, luckily it was still under warranty). Now the door and gas key are different from the ignition key. Maybe Disco Mike is right and a good locksmith could solve the problem?? Good Luck! Michele

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
If you had your ignition key replaced under warranty, the dealer should have also changed out the dorr lock assembly also, I know cause I have done alot of them under warranty both for Rovers and other vehicles. Go back and talk to the service manager and if need be the district rep, you'll get it done.
Mike J.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your responses...

A locksmith is helping with the ignition. I have to have a new ignition put in-he couldn't remove the key. I replaced fuel filter, plugs and wires withing the past year. I have to check the codes.....I am just learning about the codes. thanks all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts