Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a problem... When i wake up in the morning and i start my land rover, it backfires a few times. I've noticed that the idol slightly goes up and down. After I've been driving and my land rover is completely warm it feels as if when i go up hills or even just try to accelerate faster it sputters and jolts like its Thomas the train trying to chug along but cant... but when that happens I accelerate even faster which causes my "check. engine soon" light to blink. Also when I am stopped at a light or whatever I can feel my exhaust moving irregularly. So can someone please tell me what could be the problem so i dont have to go into a shop and getripped off. Thank you in advance!

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
So you're not saying what year Discovery you have, what the mileage is, what the service history is like, or what the codes stored in the ECU are. Do you see how it can be a little difficult for us to diagnose your problems?

Step 1. Go to Advance/Autozone/Pepboys and have them read your codes for free.
Step 2. Make note of the codes, let us know what they are, and we will advise.
Step 3. Take it to a mechanic anyway - it doesn't seem like you have much mechanical ability.

It sounds like a misfire. Typically caused by plugs/wires/coils/injectors or some combination of the 4 components. The parts themselves are readily available (both new and used) and are pretty affordable, but if you don't have the ability to fix them yourself your mechanic will charge you full retail for the parts and an arm and a leg for labor, as it does take a bit of effort to get to the ignition coils and injectors.

You're likely looking at $500-$1000 in repairs if it's something as simple as a bad coil or injector. If it's anything more serious, that amount could easily double.

My recommendation would be to find a local independent LR mechanic as they're typically cheaper and more experienced than standard mechanics. Don't go to the dealer - unless you want substandard work at ridiculous markups.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Quit driving it before you do more damage, go to the local parts store and get a list of your fault codes numbers, post them here and let us try to help you.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
If you have a 102, then replace the MAF which could be causing all or part of your problems.
When did you do plugs and 8 mm wires?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.