Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· These pretzels are making me thirsty
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I thinkin I need to replace my spark plugs and wires. Anyone recommend a good combo? I was thinking Magnecore or Jacobs for the wires and Bosch Plats for plugs. Objections, better ideas?

· Registered
5,468 Posts
People swear by both. Myself, I run Magnecore 8mm wires with the Bosch Platinum +4's. Never had a problem with them and they have been in for 40,000 miles over the past year and a half.

Others swear that the Champion ones do just as well.

All I know is this...after the new plugs and wires, along with the K&N air filter, running Castrol Synthetic Blend 20w-50 oil and the K&N long oil filter (part #3001), my truck ran smoother, got better gas mileage, and had more power. I wish I would've done each item one by one to tell exactly what made the difference...or maybe none individually and I just found a good solution for my specific truck.

Magnecore does give you a cool sticker though... :D

317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. K&N filters, at least the air, and pretty much a given for any car I drive. Seeing as how the Magnecore seem to be a bit cheaper I think I might go with those. Now for the real important question. Happen to know where I can get them the cheapest?

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Private Iron said:
Thanks for the input. K&N filters, at least the air, and pretty much a given for any car I drive. Seeing as how the Magnecore seem to be a bit cheaper I think I might go with those. Now for the real important question. Happen to know where I can get them the cheapest?
www.roverconnection.com should be the cheapest.

Or check out the magnecore website...they usually have links to sites that have them on sale.

Here's another tidbit of 411...carry a spare air filter on you and make it the Gold line filter from Napa. It is almost as good as the K&N. The K&N gets really dirty offroading with a lot of dust so it is always nice to pop in a clean filter until you can wash the K&N.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
I don't like the platnium plugs in my RRC.. I found i runs better with the bosch supers part # 7506, i don't know why, but i have tried the NGK and Bosch Platnium and my rover seems to run better on the cheap plugs. K&N is a must, but like Roverx said, keep a spare. I'm gonna try the Jacobs wires i'll let you know

317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you going to try the silicone or the ceramic Jacob's wires. I had ceramics on my sheep back when I had it, but I gotta say, I don't think I ever really noticed a difference of any sort.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
I was gonna look into what kind od wire the performace kit come with.... I had a chevy with Morrose wir and i really like them. I was gonna see if jacobs had a set close to those. So the silicone is where i am headed

· Registered
641 Posts
I ran Champions's in my 93 RRC for around 40,000 miles and when I changed them out the electrodes had a very large groove in them. Switched over to NGK's and with 15000 miles on them are showing no signs of wear. Both plugs were run with Proline wires from Rovers North. I'm running the same setup in my 97 Disco now and am very satisfied. NGK's are very expensive but I think they are worth it.

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I prefer NGK over Bosch or Chamion. Robison insists the Platinum Plus isn't as good as Standard electrode NGK, but I wouldn't know since I'm inherently too cheap to spend that much on a plug anyway.

One thing I do know, If you are running a stock coilpack (distributorless) vehicle, you're pissing money down a hole running anything fancy for wires, 7mm is more than adequate dielectric for those coils as they have significantly less energy than a good Lucas or Bosch coil. Silicone wires are better than rubber. Viton aircraft cables are best for a high energy system. I love the guys running 10mm wires who insist the blue ones make them go faster on less gas. Where's my bottle of snake oil when I need it?

317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TerryS said:
I prefer NGK over Bosch or Chamion. Robison insists the Platinum Plus isn't as good as Standard electrode NGK, but I wouldn't know since I'm inherently too cheap to spend that much on a plug anyway.

One thing I do know, If you are running a stock coilpack (distributorless) vehicle, you're pissing money down a hole running anything fancy for wires, 7mm is more than adequate dielectric for those coils as they have significantly less energy than a good Lucas or Bosch coil. Silicone wires are better than rubber. Viton aircraft cables are best for a high energy system. I love the guys running 10mm wires who insist the blue ones make them go faster on less gas. Where's my bottle of snake oil when I need it?

gotta show my ignorance here, but I don't know what a distributorless vehicle is. I thought all cars had distributors. guess i'm just a dummy

317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ahh, so am I to understand that really nice expensive cables will do no good unless I upgrade the coil?

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Private Iron said:
Ahh, so am I to understand that really nice expensive cables will do no good unless I upgrade the coil?

IMHO, upgrade the plug wires anyway. 8mm Magnecores. RoverChic's suggested site is the cheapest I have ever seen them. Go for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.