Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2002 Land Rover Discovery in Firestone, CO from a police officer on Tuesday 12-27. While driving the vehicle home on Wednesday evening in a small snow storm in the mountains, I ran off the road and into a ditch. Last night I noticed that some warning lights were not illuminating so I removed the speedometer assemble only to find someone had placed electrical tape over the SRS, ABS and Traction control lights. The officer had owned the vehicle for over 10 years so I am sure he was well aware of the issue and I asked after purchasing the vehicle if there were any issues to which he replied "No". I tried texting the officer and received no response. I emailed his commanding officer looking for contact information only to which he replied.

"Mr. Shearer,

I am not familiar with the personal and or civil matters between you and XXX, nor will I involve the Town of Firestone."

Clearly he is protecting his own. I was only looking for an address, I am suing him for fraud.

I am just glad someone else wasn't injured in the wreck or even killed.

Anybody have any ideas on how I can make this information available to the C:frownity of Firestone or more importantly the residence? I certainly wouldn't want this person upholding the law or serving the public.

Thank You
Kevin:frown

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Sounds like a bit of a sticky situation.
Obviously he sold the truck as a private citizen and not as a police officer. No real difference than if you bought a truck from a mechanic privately. Calling the shop he works for would also likely be a dead end. Not necessarily "protecting their own" just notwanting to get involved.
What were the conditions of the sale? You were driving it. Was it inspected by a mechanic? Safety checked? Plated? Insured? Or were you just "cowboying" home?
I am not familiar with your states requirements regarding vehicle sales (certified, as is etc.) but if the vehicle was sold as safety inspected and certified then you should be able to go back on the inspection station.
If it was sold "as is" then I would think it is just that AS IS
Did you not ask him about any "problems" before you bought it?

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Having a number of friends who are police officers, I know police forces are very strict and likely never release personal information.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I tried texting the officer and received no response. I emailed his commanding officer looking for contact information only to which he replied.
I don't think I'd purchase a vehicle if the only contact info was via text.

Bill of sale or title info indicating sellers address? Calm down, do your homework and you should be able to get some info on they guy. You may want to write letters to the police dept and the city/town. LE personnel in most locals are expected to be above blacking out warning lights on vehicles they sell.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
It's funny that the dumb arse you bought it from spent more time and effort in hiding the problem than fixing it. Go to the D2 forum and search "3 Amigos". It's a cheap and easy fix.

All cops are humans and your percentage of getting a bad cop is not much different than getting a bad human.

You now own a Discovery- this isn't your last problem, nor is it likely that there aren't others lurking. These can be good, reliable vehicles, but only if you know what you're dealing with. You didn't buy a used Honda- these things have gremlins that can render your new purchase virtually valueless in a blink.

Go to the D2 forum and make yourself knowledgeable.

As far as the seller- you bought a used car. It had a problem you didn't find. Most likely your state has little if any protections available to you and there's absolutely no way to prove it was the last guy that put the tape on there. Take the hit and move on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you had been in the UK or fo that matter the EU then the police officer had deliberately voided the MOT or vehicle test certificate in respect of the ABS. However, it is very difficult to test and having discovered that land rover agents are not adverse to pulling a fast one I guess your claim unfortunately will fail. How would the person have known, especially if it was only his wife drove on highway and good road.
For example, my brand new LR90 had a rad leak, after 5 times in 6 months I rang LR to find out what had been going on. LR confirmed that there was a build fault, that the rad should have been returned to them, it had not been, in fact the agent in Norwich UK had sent the radiator to be "repaired" at the local rad place. They were not aware that internally a part was missing and that the full stress of the fixing bolts was taken by the matrix.
The reason, the radiator was part of items to be paid for and replaced by dealer and if the fault was through design or build then they got their money back, if "just one of those things" then they had to pay for a new rad.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Standards definitely vary.
We have recently undergone an update to safety inspection requirements for vehicle inspection which is only required during a ownership transfer and plated registration
A.B.S and T.C. Light are allowed and only need to be noted at the time of certificate issue.

We still have not heard from the original poster as to what the condition of sale was. As far as we know it was an AS IS purchase and if that is the case thenbuyer beware period

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.