Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I wanted to confirm my suspicions. I rebuilt my engine over the winter. It has about 1k miles on it. When I pulled the engine I mistakenly also pulled the torque converter out of the transmission. I was able to seat the TC properly. I did not see any damage to the TC splines but I think there is damage somewhere based on my symptoms. I have a hill I start out on 55 mph rd, so I am trying to gain speed rather quickly. Before the rebuild, no problems. Now I push in the gas and no response, press more and more till it responds and the engine is blaring loud by this point an as I am climbing the hill I can feel and hear it trying if to find the right torque or gear. It is so sluggish going up hills that it's an annoyance. It will make it. Never on flat ground and mostly at low speeds, sometimes at highway speeds going up asteroid hill it will loose momentum. What do you think? I wanting to put in a transmission eventually since mine has close to 190k on it. I'm thinking I damaged the inner splines of the tranny or the splines on the TC. Any thoughts?
Thanks!
-Heather

·
wjsj69
124 Posts
Auto transmissions are a mysterious animal to most people; probably why no one has responded yet; Sorry! Have you checked for codes? Is there enough/correct fluid in trans? Has the filter and fluid been changed?

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
Hi Heather
wjsj69 x 2
doesnt sound like a problem with the install and generally when a TC is damaged it whines like a 3yr old.
check your fluid level again just incase. A lot of fluid will have gone back into the TC from the removal. vehicle raised but level in neutral with the engine running and cold - remove the filler plug and you should get a thickish stream of fluid. If not keep adding until fluid runs freely out of the filler hole - put the plug back in. run through the gears and go back under and recheck (with it back in neutral). ATF swells very fast with heat so once it starts to warm up fluid will flow out faster and faster.
If you checked it hot originally it could be up to an inch low when cold. the graph is for a mercedes NAG 1 transmission but the effect is the same overall. The mercedes has to have oil level checked at 80 degrees or the box will blow atf everywhere. Like the landy its a sealed system - the landy calls for measure cold not warm.
watch the cats when doing it they get hot really fast from the choke cycle and its easy to burn yourself.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I put a little more fluid in and it seems that low fluid was potentially the problem. It was more peppy and appeared to react to me giving more throttle. I'm gonna drain and fill so I can be sure I have the right amount of fluid in there and hopefully all is good. Thanks Barri! I wish these things had a dipstick!!!
-Heather

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
I know the pucker factor is large getting under the vehicle with the engine running - always a bit nerve wracking but if you try to fill it not running you will be about 2 l short.
I believe you can swap in the oil pan from a post 94 jaguar as it has the same gearbox but comes with a dipstick. I also seem to remember that the later d1's had the same box with a pan with a dipstick (but check that) anything with a ZF 4HP22 box with a dipstick will work but some bending may be needed :devil
cheers
Barri

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.