Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a moderate "popping" noise coming from the rear of my 01' Disco *only* when making a turn. Definitely suspension-related.

137K miles. Not an off-roader.

Thoughts? I'll need to add this inevitable repair to my growing list...

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Sounds like either your watts linkage or bad bushings in the trailing arms or shocks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like either your watts linkage or bad bushings in the trailing arms or shocks.
Well, I immediately went out to observe the watts linkage after watching this video of a DII owner: Discovery watts link test - YouTube

But my watts seems to be in good condition. It doesn't have any play (like in the video above) and the bushing on *it* is pretty good.

Still looking for the culprit...

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Broken coil spring, bad shock bushings or trailing arm bushings, that's all that is left unless it is coming from the diff.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Broken coil spring, bad shock bushings or trailing arm bushings, that's all that is left unless it is coming from the diff.
I had my friend push on the truck while I checked the watts linkage again, but no problem there.

How can I identify if there is indeed a broken coil spring, bad shock or trailing arm bushings, Mike? I need to know what to *look* for.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Just look at them!!!!
If one is broken you will see the break in the coil.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may need to take it to a professional.

Yesterday I spent quite a bit of time examining all the suspension components in the rear and saw nothing significantly worn or structures with "play," even after driving it around the parking lot to determine where the noise was coming from.

FYI: The noise is more of a "thumping" rather than a "popping," to clarify.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Is this the original suspension? Have you checked the shock bushings and shocks, may have failed.
PM me your number if you want some help with this and don't let some shop sell you some Non-Rover parts to fix it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this the original suspension? Have you checked the shock bushings and shocks, may have failed.
PM me your number if you want some help with this and don't let some shop sell you some Non-Rover parts to fix it.
Sending you my number now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts