Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

my V8's popping. like not as loud as a backfire but it's popping at random from what seems to be the right bank (driver's side in UK). On that side is the one plug lead I never changed - so I think that's the problem!
Any other suggestions would be welcome. The problem is exacerbated when I lift off the throttle, and I think it also may be the mixture running too rich/lean to compensate for the dodgy lead?

L

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
You don't say whether the popping is eminating from the intake, or the exhaust. If it is an intake popping, this is usually associated with worn lifters or cam.
If, however, it is coming from the exhaust, it could be a leaky exhaust manifold gasket, allowing cold air to be sucked into the pipe by the velocity of the exhaust gasses. which is a secondary ignition of the unburned hydrocarbons (more likely in a carburated Rangie. An exhasut leak can also lead to burned exhausr valves, so look into it, ASAP.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a leak in the right hand manifold as it goes to the Y pipe, which I shall remedy ASAP. It sounds like it's in the downpipe that the detonation occurs, but it sounds as if it's on the opposite branch!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's downthe left-hand manifold this happens, the one with the hole, it'll only happen at idle or about 1200RPM, anything over that, no pop. I think it's drawing air across the hole and mixing it there before detonating, not helping that it's beign overfuelled by confusing the o2 sensor. where is that, by the way?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.