Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a 2004 Discovery with 131.000 miles. I am loosing coolant but there are no wet spots under the vehicle. Passenger side valve cover is super wet, like an 18 year old virgin chick, mostly right back side of the engine. It is also idling a bit rougher than usual. I understand that Disco's have major Head Gasket problems and a lot of clues point to a blown head gasket. Is there a certacertain test I can perform do be sure 100% ??? Does usually one side blow or both?

Who has replaced this already?

Have you bought the complete gasket kit that Atlantic British sells for about $200.00 or just 2 gaskets?

What are some other LRS head gasket companies? ?

If anyone has any pictures of the takedown, please email them to me...

Any DO'S & DON'T'S ?

Thank you

[email protected]

Attachments

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Firstly... Test kits to indicate exhaust gasses in the cooling system are available. You may want to have it professionally tested.
As well as leaking externally and showing as a puddle it may be leaking internally into a cylinder. Indications would be a misfire and likely engine light on. Spark plug tip will look exceptionally white and possibly a scale type buildup when removed and compared to others
Another fairly common fault is the heater core and heater core tubes. It is possible for a substantial amount of coolant to collect inside the vehicle in the hollow in the top of the transmission hump (under and behind the heater controls) and the carpet and under padding. "Sweet smell" excessively fogged windows etc. are indications of a heater core coolant leak.
Best to be sure before causing further damage

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Don't forget that you need valve cover gaskets? to address that oil leak and a good set of ignition wires! Buy good ones don't waste your money on cheap ones. Yours are original and well beyond there reliable life

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems like everything on this car is original haha, a true classic :)

I already bought new wires, spark plugs, head gasket kit is on the way. Debating to take on the task myself or to hire someone. Any reliable Land Rover mechanics in South East Michigan????

Thank you

· Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
Fairly old thread. You think you might be a candidate?

· Premium Member
7,890 Posts

· Registered
1,576 Posts
LOL.....Bet it never got fixed!

:sn10:
Good possibility. He was active here for about 6 weeks.

A short but interesting thread. He comes on and asks questions about what parts to buy and before anyone answers, he's already posting about having parts on the way. Then he asks for referrals on competent shops. The only missing thread is "How do I sell a car on Craigslist?"

For anyone looking to tackle the job: http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/f40/head-head-gasket-refit-prep-125962/

· Registered
239 Posts
Thank you all. I have some oil leaks also some drips of coolant around the back seal. Just replaced the VC gasket, all bearing and Pulleys.

I need to clean the bottom and see where the leaks are coming from. Front Differential, gearbox definitely leaking. everything original have not done any major work on the engine. Truck has 75k milage (sitting around for a long time).

I was having discussion here with pic.
Oil Leaks - i am sure I am not the first one - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

just trying to get an idea how involve the gasket job will be. seems like a lot of seal and gasket work. I have been using Rotella 6 full synth oil. may be in need to switch to conventional oil for the time being.

Appreciated your input and suggestions.

· Registered
1,576 Posts
Forget the oil. Synthetic causing leaks is a 30-year-old fallacy.

As far as leaks, I'd guess front seal as a culprit. The balancers seem to groove easily on these engines. An easy fix with a seal-saver sleeve. The oil pressure switch is also a possibility. but less likely. The pan gasket could be leaking but it's a pretty substantial gasket with crush preventers. You can always try tightening the bolts. Last fall, my wife's M3 started dripping. About half the pan bolts were loose. You can try snugging up the bolts. Be careful what you put a wrench on- the bolts on the side of the block skirt are for the crankshaft main caps. They have seals that you can crush and are already torqued to spec. If the rear main seal is leaking, you're either living with it or doing an engine-out service.

Hard to tell on the coolant- it's tough to see in those pics. I'd be thinking intake manifold, although it could be the cooling passage at the back of the head, which is less than uncommon of a problem. That green liquid looks alot like DexCool, which is not what this all-aluminum motor should have in it.

On leaks, you can typically tell by smell what they are. Diff lube has a strong lithium odor to it and ATF smells like, well, ATF.

The one quote in that thread was a gem- "when was the last head gasket job?". These trucks have earned a certain reputation, but that much? :)

· Premium Member
7,890 Posts
USDA certified Organic as well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.