Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Jmreed81
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my newly rebuilt engine in my 2000 D2. Got about 250 miles on it now of trouble free operation with no codes. However, the coolant temps are irregular. I installed all new hoses and a new low temp thermostat from lucky 8 when I installed the motor. With my scan gauge II digital readout, the truck warms up to 188-193 degrees and will stay in that range while driving. Once I stop, or idle at slow speeds the temp rises, almost to 210 before I realized it today. The temp gauge reads in the normal range almost dead center. Is this normal? I think I might have a bad viscous clutch, but not sure.

Also, I have followed disco mikes procedure to bleed the system multiple times, hoping it was trapped air. Each time I never released air, only coolant as it should be.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Most likely a bad viscus, is your electric fan working? You can buy an after market viscus at the local parts store for around $80. Have you ever changed your radiator, they are known to plug up when over 100,000 miles and don't really clean out.

·
Jmreed81
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I did some more extensive research last night and discovered the issue with the radiators. My truck has 140k miles and was poorly maintained so I will budget for a replacement immediately. Also, I found that the electric fan engages around 212 degrees, so I will test that tonight. I know it works because i straight wired it to a battery to test, but unsure if it engages on its own.

·
Jmreed81
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Paul, but I think I am gonna be fine. Rebled the system, and the past 3 days I have been below 200 with the a/c on in 92 degree heat. Average is 188-195, and I am comfortable with those numbers. I guess I had some air trapped, took 5 times to bleed it all out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts