Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have located an 04 Disco 2 that has 124,000 miles. The engine was replaced at 110,000 miles with an engine out of an 03. The engine has 24,000 total miles. It also has nearly new tires as well. I have located a few transmissions on Flea bay that are around 75k and 80k mileage wise. All around the $400 range. I have an agreement to purchase the Disco for $2500. It is really clean 2 owner vehicle. Carfax checked out. It seems like the pump is weak and its also in limp mode. My question is if I replace the transmission will it have to be reprogrammed? Also how would one go about clearing the codes?

In talking to this guy he has dropped 2800 plus labor on motor swap plus 1000 on tires. Replaced Catalytic converters and O2 sensors and an alternator. He just had a baby and can't afford to dump anymore money into it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
If its the same transmission you shouldn't have to reprogram anything. I think the codes clear themselves, as all of mine did for my ACE, SLS, and SES codes cleared themselves as I fixed certain things, if it doesn't self clear just pull the battery cables and tape them together and leave them like that for 30min-1hr, it will drain the capacitors and should to a hard restart, I do this frequently if my gas cap doesn't seal and throws a code or something.

Also, just food for thought, the LT230, is the locking transfer case found in the 2004 disco's any many of the previous Land Rovers, their center differential lock can fail and act like its always locked, which will ultimately wind up a Land Rovers transmission causing it to fail, so I'd do some research on that and maybe test if you buy it, if that was the reason it failed in the first place. You'll have to pull it anyway to replace the transmission.

Ashcroft Transmissions

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.