Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some tips.
I have a 1993 Range Rover LWB.
We are looking for a 2001-2003 Discovery II.
We are hoping for an SE7. But I'm not set 100% on that.

What I'm looking for is differences between model years PRO and CON.
Features I might want or NOT want.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Hey for one...if you get a march or ealier '01, then it will have the CDL nipple....that is, if you ever plan to use it off road. The '03s have the 4.6 liter engine.....very nice for power....and much cheaper to get an LT230 with the nipple then to do the engine conversion. Just two of the main points that you will be looking at between those years....I wouldnt consider the facelift a big deal but I believe that was in '02....with the redesign of the headlights, and bumper, etc.

Beezel would probably be the one to talk to you on this stuff....www.disco2.com is down right now, but they have a chart on there that shows the year-to-year changes on the DII's.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
The facelift was in 03 and effect the 03-04 models. Nothing spectacular during the 02 year.

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
the models pretty much stayed the same except for different engines. Some minor interiour changes,

Pretty much everything depends on model type. between SE and HSE and cold climate packages and the like.

More importantly the vehicle itself is something you want to look at. A base model Disco might be better if the maintenance is good. Also, 02s might still have a bit of warrantee left to them. Check to see if you can get one with a warrantee on it.

They all get major leaks and the occasional ABS and CEL lite problems.

The most important thing is the service records on the vehicle regardless of manufacturer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I was reseaching, I read various reviews at kbb.com that stated that there were over 500 minor changes between 02 and 03. I also heard that the 02 engines have had touble with head gaskets. I bought an 03 HSE with low milage and time left on the warranty. I love it!

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I had a 2000 and a 2003. Go for the '03. Big difference in the engine the 2000 was kinda a weezer ( sorry guys) Also the jump seats in my 2000 made me crazy with all the squeaking and sh!t. No doubt you want the 03.
In addition if you are not gonna mod it too much I would try to find an ACE truck. A side benifit to this handling package is improved off road articulation, but if you plan to lift it, forget it and go with a reg model.

·
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Funrover said:
What are you gonna do with the LWB?
No you can't have it!!! J/K well you still can't have it.

It will be my daughter, RovErica's first car.
She is pumped about that.

It is well paid off and I think will be a safe first car for her. If she wrecks it I will probably cry. (IF? when is more likely)
But I will have the beater I need for off roading at that point.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Go for the 04. You get CDL, New light / bumper style.
If you want to stay cheap, a 4.0 and 4.6 don't drive much different at all. I portered cars for Bear Valley Land Rover last summer and I drove 99.5 through 04 disco IIs. You can't tell a difference in the acceleration if you ask me. The lower the milage, the nicer the ride, but thats just age related. If you want an earlier disco II, get a 99-early 01 so you can have that CDL nipple and possibly ACE (awesome if you have it... more articulation off-road and safer on the road). Stay away from SLS as they go bad in the long run.02s are nothing special. 03 and 04 have small changes to the interior (instrument panel, door panels) 03 is new looking, but you still have the old hood and side lettering and no CDL. Defintely stay away from 02s and 03s. Go for an 04 ideally, but if thats not an option, try 99.5s - 01s. Check out a large collection of VERY NICE disco IIs at www.bvlr.com. I promise you'll like the car you get, and they come spotless.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
OkieRover said:
It will be my daughter, RovErica's first car.
She is pumped about that.
That is awsome....I wish tht I had a LWB at that age..Glad to hear she is excited!!

·
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tips. The wife last night said she was scared to have another car payment right now. Not sure why as I do the bills and we have the money.

If it were up to me I'd get the 01 and modify it. But one of the stipulations is that I am not working on it every other weekend like I do the 93. Which I try to explain to her, with 185,000 miles and 13 years old things fail. She doesn't get it. I don't have to work on the 2002 Taurus like that. :dunno:

ANyway it'll have to be a hella-deal if I get one this weekend. That is if I even get to go looking. Strange what a week will bring.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Do what I do.............plan to sell one right after you buy the new one....and...then........plans do change ya know!
I think she is onto me by the way.

·
Registered
523 Posts
OkieRover said:
Thanks for the tips. The wife last night said she was scared to have another car payment right now. Not sure why as I do the bills and we have the money.

If it were up to me I'd get the 01 and modify it. But one of the stipulations is that I am not working on it every other weekend like I do the 93. Which I try to explain to her, with 185,000 miles and 13 years old things fail. She doesn't get it. I don't have to work on the 2002 Taurus like that. :dunno:

ANyway it'll have to be a hella-deal if I get one this weekend. That is if I even get to go looking. Strange what a week will bring.
Keep us informed with what you get.Post pictures too;)

Carlos

·
Workin' and Wheelin'...
2,942 Posts
Funrover said:
That is awsome....I wish tht I had a LWB at that age..Glad to hear she is excited!!
Sorry to pass on the jealousy on Aaron, I'm 18 and have my first LWB. :D Gotta love it though!:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.