Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serg posted Dave's super cool paint detailing article - and I immediately bought all the supplies mentioned in the article!

My new to me 1999 Rover's paint wasn't bad looking, just not... perfect.

So, I decided that the paint swirls and burns were too deep to buff out myself and had a body shop color sand and respray the damaged sections.

The paint shop breezily said 'don't touch the paint for 30 days' - but what does that really mean?

Can anyone recommend how long to wait to wash, then ultimately polish and seal the paint?

Thanks for any advice...

·
Registered
106 Posts
i used to have a detailing business and youll probably get 10 different answers to the same thing. I always used to tell people its like painting your house. If you've ever painted doors and trim youll know that you have to take extra care to let it cure completly. Go ahead and wash it when it gets dirty, drying it with a properly cleaned chamois. For the soap, we always used a normal kitchen dish soap like dawn, or joy, it worked the best for us. Id wait a couple weeks for polish/wax, which ever product you decide to use, just done grind it in to the paint. Apply in the shade, let it dry to a haze, then buff off using a clean soft towel turning regularly. Good luck, and i always wax my car every few months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
it simply means do not use any kind sealant wax or polish, when paint cures it needs to breathe, wait the 30 days, washing, drying, and glazing is ok, no car washes either, the paint is too soft the first 30 days....
good luck :drink1:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the help! I've decided to at least use a California Duster, and Quick Detailer for water/rain spots. Think I can nurse it along another couple weeks before I seal and wax it!

Thanks again guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.