Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum... I am already quite familiar with Land Rover stuff... I own a P38 (I know I know....)

I have found a cheap Disco on CL for 1000, after talking to the guy, he really wants to get rid of it, and willing to get it down to 500. Body is actually decent, the interior is good, so it cant be that awful.

Here is the issue. He claims it wont move. He thinks its the transfer case is shot, but I don't think that is it.... so I made a check list.

1. Transfer case is some how stuck in neutral.
2. Transmission is toast - This is unlikely.
3. Broken half shafts.... (obviously checking the prop shafts)
4. Possibly something is low on fluids?
5. ????

Any people have a good way to diagnose the issue before I plunk down some coin?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does it run? He could have just blown the brake light fuse and can't get it out of park! Or the brake light switch went bad and it's time for the ole' paper clip method....
If it's an auto mastic, low fluid is about the only thing that could.....ohhhhhhhh wait....stuck hand brake shoes?

Isn't the transfer case driven internally by a chain? Easy fix?

·
Land Rover... Official off road Jeep recovery vehi
38 Posts
Do it!

Try bumping the t-case knob while the transmission is in neutral then shift to drive and bump the t-case knob into gear if its that.

If its a half shaft (which i highly doubt) I believe and someone please correct me if I am wrong but you can remove the half shaft and still drive with it removed since D1 axles are full floating as opposed to a P38 or D2 axle that is simi-floating.

Chances are you're problem is either in the T-case or the transmission, at $500 even if you had to rent a car hauler and drag it out of there its still a good deal if the interior and engine are in good shape, you could possibly find the parts you need to fix it from a donor car, and have a $2500 truck for around $800, otherwise its still got over a grand in parts value. and atleast 150 in scrap metal. IMO its not a bad deal if the engine is good, thats about how much a wrecked disco with a good engine would go for at auction, and the body is in good shape. figure it out and go for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I kinda figured it.

I know this is the years for the pre-exploding drive shafts.

I doubt its the transmission, because the 4hp24 is a pretty stout unit. But I plan on checking it out soon and reporting back!

·
Land Rover... Official off road Jeep recovery vehi
38 Posts
My bet is on the T-case being stuck between gears from lack of use, It could be a problem with the gear selection lever having a bad connection. Post some pictures of the truck itself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Turned out to be really really rough. Ie bird poop on the dash.....

Not worth the headache for 650! I will post a photo later as soon as I can get it off my phone

Edit: Photo!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts