Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a thread re: powdercoating has been previously posted, please let me know.

Otherwise, I'm wondering whether this is a process that must be done professionally or whether I, aka "Man with 10 thumbs," could pull it off. The external windscreen cage and the brush bar are oxidizing and I'm worried about rust. The truck is garaged, but the damage occurred when it had to sit outside for more than a month (and the fact that the vehicle is 8 years old).

For you defender owners out there, is that cage fairly easy to remove? If so, should I even attempt to do the powdercoating myself? Any alternatives to this process?

For you guys out here in the Bay Area, is/are there a good local shop(s) that will do this without breaking the bank?

Thanks.

·
4,576 Posts
Griff, are you familiar with the process? You do know that you need a HUGE oven for this, correct? If you can get a hold of the tools and the "oven" then I'm sure you can do it yourself and the only thing you'd have to worry about is getting the coating ont here evenly so that one part isnt thicker than the others.

WHat about Rhino-Lining?

·
Too much money,not enough sense
148 Posts
Eastwood offer a home powdercoating kit

However you need to be able to get the parts in an oven to bake them to the required temp...so that leaves a roll cage out...should be easy to remove though...and just google for a local powdercoater...Although if it was me I'd line-x it and be done with it...

Thats whats gonna happen to my bumpers,sliders roof rack and snorkel...

M,

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oops, wasn't thinking about the oven part. that does rule out my doing it. i did think about rhino-lining the parts. what's "line-x," quicksilva, or whatever you called it? that sounds like the route i'd want to go.

i did google powdercoating in my area and got nothing useful.

thanks for the info. :drink1:

·
Too much money,not enough sense
148 Posts
Line-X

its a finer nice quality coating in the same vein as Rhino liner and similar products...its a cold cure low pressure application that guarateed for the life of the vehicle ...Only draw back is you have to visit a franchise to have it applied....but once its done you'll be well happy...Trust me on this...do a google for write ups etc...

M,

·
4,576 Posts
If you're you're really set on doing it yourself, you can get the spray cans of Herculiner at NAPA. I Lined my brushbar with a cheaper brand and it came out decent. I didnt prep it right and thats why the quality of the job wasnt 100% But if you prep your parts up right (sanding, cleaning, etc.) and Herculiner-it, you'll be happy with the end product. It'll be tough, and something that will put up to the dings of off-roading. Very easy to clean and hose-down. I like the idea of powder coating, only that It's more money for something thats normaly applied to make things look a hek of a whole lot nicer as opposed to its protective qualities.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
There's always one in every crowd, and it inevitably turns out to be me. As you are obviously aware, the value of a '97 D90SW is up there, and in order to hold that as best you can, I wouldn't go with a finish whose properties won't be known until you actually do it. The roll cage should be satin black powder coated. A good urethane epoxy enamal will give you a durable long lasting finish. Powder coating is not just a baked finish, but an electrostaticly applied process, in other words, not a DIY job. If you have the equipment, and the environment, you can do a good spray paint job, but as in everything else in life, prep is everything. (I'm doing a '71 2A right now and it's a half day for every panel, even with the truck completely dissasembled. I worked all day and all I got done was bulkhead and breakfast, 2 coats prime, wet sanded between and now just ready for paint. But at $75 a gallon for conniston green, I'll bude my time and be patient. It's killing me tho)
As to the removal, it's pretty straightforward, all you need is a T50 (might be T60)Torx driver to get the bolts out. Before you put it back, get the equivalent number of stainless hex head cap screws. They're metric M8x1.50 25mm long. Pitch the torx heads, they just rust. I'm not sure how many a D90 uses, but I just replaced mine, and a 110 uses 60 of them
I saw a 90SW that had had the roll cage hot dip galvanized and it looked nice.

Oh yeah, If you're looking for powder coaters, look in the yellow pages under industrial coatings.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys. :drink1:

i'm afraid you're right, terry. better knuckle under and get it done right, especially since i want it to last. however, would you recommend giving the cage a temporary paint job, such as you described, for weather protection until i can get it powder coated?

also, thanks for the details on the cage removal. doesn't sound too bad, just gotta get my hands on the right tool and the hardware.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.