Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
driving my 2000 RR all power begins to quickly drain battery until car dies.
It starts with the guages going to zero and all warning lights coming on with all kinds of faults and alarms going off. Alternator was replaced and tests out properly. Where would the most likely area of a short be? Car won't turn over and the battery at rest tests 11.7 volts. Anyone care to guess what's going on? Where can I start to look? Please help.

· Premium Member
10,167 Posts
what test did you do on the alternator? I'd start with the alternator and battery. It seems like an amperage problem not voltage.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funrover,the volltage in the battery went from 12.2 to 14.1 when running(and was working)-now the battery tests out at 11.7 and rig won't start-as if something is blocking the currant flow. (like a bad circuit breaker or a short-could the battery be bad?)

· Registered
291 Posts
Hey,
this happened to me in my 98 rr. One of your grounds near the battery is not grounded. The vibrations when driving loosen it which is why if you get it to start, it will die and die quickly, because the ground is bouncing around. Check your engine compartment near the battery and fuse box very carefully and either a black or blue wire that is fairly thick...maybe 8 or 6 guage, possibly larger, will probably be just sitting somewhere. Tighten the ground if its held in my a screw, or if you can't find where it connects, tap a new hole. If you can't find the wire, take your battery out and search, its most likely somewhere around. Hope everything works well!

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi All and thank you for the replys-its most appreciated.My mechanic says the alternator is bad. I put a voltmeter on the battery and while the car was running under load(air on full and all the lights on)the voltage jumped all over the place-the alt made a clicking noise and voltage went from 14.1-11.7-14.1-and finally dropped almost immediatly to 11.9 and stayed there. I hope he is right.....we'll see.

· Registered
114 Posts
This might help you

This might help ,Battery Drain, Mysterious or Unexplained

I have had a number of owners write in complaining of unexplained battery drain. For example, Jeffrey Eyestone has had a strange problem with his 1996 Range Rover 4.0 SE since he moved to a condo with underground parking along with 150 other vehicles. It acts as if his Rover’s computer senses other keyless entry systems and it “activates” at a higher level, draining battery power – to the point that his brand new battery can be drained in about 4 days of inactivity. The dealer replaced the battery and tested for excess drain but did not find anything. Jeffrey reports: The problem persisted and now they tell me things like “Oh yeah, when people leave their Rovers at the airport for a week at a time, they have this same problem. Perhaps you should consider installing a battery shut-off switch under the hood.” More recently, Frederick Jauch reported a problem that has been going on with his 96 Range Rover over the past 5 months. His battery drains within 2 days of not being started. The dealer has replaced the battery, battery cables and alternator, at quite an expense to me, yet the problem persists. The mechanics claim that it is shutting down properly and can find nothing wrong with it, but have suggested hooking it up to a charger nightly (not going to happen).

The usual cause of these difficulties is problems with the remote locking system. In December 1996 a Technical Service Bulletin was issued acknowledging the remote handset was subject to being activated by static electricity. A new replacement part for the remote handset, STC3637 was announced. The system was still subject to interference from power lines and other vehicles' remotes powering up the BeCM periodically, so another modification was introduced in November 2002 (UK vehicles) after production of the 4.0/4.6 had long since ceased, a new RF receiver (part number YWY500010). No such official fix appears to be available fo US vehicles (which use a different frequency) -- if you hear of one please email me. Meanwhile Jeffrey Upton came up with his own solution (he lives near Logan Airport in Boston and suffered this problem frequently). He disconnected the leads between the window RF antenna and the receiver. In this condition the remote still workls fine as lopng as you are within a couple of feet of the vehicle, but the effect of external radio interference is eliminated! In general, try to park your RR away from large parking garages where people are coming and going in other vehicles whose remotes may wake up your BeCM too often!! (See the Alarm/Security System page for more details).

Of course it is equally possible that mysterious battery drain can be due to other causes that might occur on any vehicle. Staffan Tjernstrom reported that he has twice had the experience of coming out to the garage and a dead battery. In his case a dead cell in the battery was diagnosed after a very interesting drive to the dealer with just about every single control / light in the car set to 'Lucas Random Activation Mode'). The dead cell would sometimes cause just enough of a drain / back-voltage to look like a drained battery. Plenty of other possible causes exist -- common ones include the door outstations and locks, bonnet (hood) switch, and faulty heated windshield relays. To track own the cause, just follow the same procedure you would on any vehicle --ie put an ammeter in series with the battery and read the current while you start pulling out fuses til you notice a change. Even in the best of circumstances you will probably not be able to get the drain below about 50-100 mA, due to the draw of such things as the clock, radio memory, alarm system and periodic EAS operation etc. However this amount of drain should take at least 2 or 3 weeks to flatten the battery. If you are still unsure as to how to proceed, Andy Cunningham has an exhaustive description of how to trace down battery drain at this link.

Yet another possible cause of battery drain is not putting the transmission in Park. Ron Beckett reminds us that the shop manual contains this warning: "WARNING: Always leave the vehicle with the gear selector in 'P' (Park) position when parked, even when the starter key is not removed. Failure to do so will result in the battery discharging.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.