Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this question has been up before, couldn't find it in the forums.

Im changing out my power steering fluid and I just have a couple questions before I begin.

1. How do I flush out all of the old power steering fluid?
2. How much new power steering fluid do I need to get? I heard that Vavolines Synthetic Power steering fluid is good, so I will get some of that.
3. If you dont change out the fluid within a certain number of miles, what could the old steering fluid do to the Land Rover?

Please answer back, thank you!

·
Registered
138 Posts
4 Qts of PS fluid needed for the job.
1 Qt Lucas PS Conditioner

1) On top of the power steering pump there is a bleed screw like the brakes have, but pointing straight up. You can remove the air box and air inlet hose/MAF if you would like to get down to the PS bleed screw easier. It is pretty much directly under the MAF sensor on top of the PS pump. The bleed screw originally had a protective plastic/rubber cap on it, remove it to get to the bleed screw opening. Mine crumbled when I removed mine, yours may be gone, or maybe not.

2) Put a piece of plastic tubing sized to fit over the bleed screw portion that is not the nut, but the portion that sticks out from the nut. Clear tubing is nice so you can see what is draining as it drains. Direct the tubing down to a drain pan, or just go without it and put the drain pain below and expect some spillage as the pump drains. Have your new PS fluid of choice ready.

3) Open the bleed screw a small amount slowly with engine running and PS pump should begin to drain. Small hex head nut, on the bleed screw, I am thinking 10mm, but it may be a little bigger. Open-end spanner wrench can be used here.

4)Have a helper turning steering wheel slowly completely to left and then completely to right, back and forth during the draining refilling process to move PS fluid throughout the PS system. If you open the bleed screw too much it will shoot up like Ole Faithful!

5)As the PS fluid drains, the reservoir level will become lower. Pour new fluid in PS reservoir. Do not let it get too low before adding fluid. I try not to let it get below 1/2 empty, just to be safe.

6) Once you see fresh colored fluid draining, rather than the old dirty brown, you have refreshed all the fluid and can tighten the bleed screw down.

Also, recommended to add a can of Lucas PS conditioner as part of the refill fluid to help lube the seals in the PS system. I put the Lucas in as qt. 2 or 3 to make sure as I drain that when the new fluid starts to drain to show that I am done, I do not lose any Lucas additive. Top off PS to fill line, and done.

Alternative method:
1) Take a plastic turkey baster and suck the old fluid out of the PS reservoir to almost empty
2) Top off with new PS fluid
3) Run for a day or two, then do this again, and maybe again until you get fresh colored PS fluid. This seems easier, but is not as good IMO, and draining the PS pump only takes a few minutes on the D2.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
That is one way to do it, harder, messier and not as good a flush though.
Get the 4 quarts of good P/S/ fluid and a bottle of Lucas as mentioned along with some sort of a hand held oil pump, like a turkey baster, then suck all the fluid from the reservor, refill with new fluid, start the engine turn the steering wheel full left and right to the bump stops, shut of the engine suck out the P/S fluid and do it again, usually 3 time or until the fluid being removed will now be either crystal clear or red depending on the fluid you are using.
By doing this, by turning the wheel to the bump stops, making the pump groan, you are forcing all old fluid a debri completely from the system and you don't have to bleed it.
If you have ACE, do the same process to it at the same time.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the answers! I will use them and change out my fluids when I have the time!

·
Registered
770 Posts
In looking for synthetic power steering fluid, I have been told all sorts of different things. First is that it is some type of mineral oil. Also, never use power steering fluid. Purchase the fluid only from the dealer. You can use ATF Dex 3 as an alternative. This info is coming from both the dealer and a reputable local rover mechanic.

Kind of striking out on the synthetic ATF and the dealer stuff is pricey. I am leaning towards the ATF Dex3. If I use it, can I still add the Lucas to it?

That said, I trust what DiscoMike says- should I just keep looking for synthetic PAS fluid?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Most synthetic P/S fluid have been taken out of production. I switched to Vavoline's regulars fluid and change it every 15,000 miles.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Ok, now I am reading that you cannot use ATF in the Disco II, the tech I spoke with at the dealer must have assumed my 99 was a D1.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
All D2's use p/s fluid only.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I located some Royal Purple Power Steering Fluid for 5.99 a bottle. Good?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts