Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SCUBA Instructor
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, since you folks are always so helpful...how about this one.

I have PS fluid leaking all over the place and have just been adding more... need to take the time and figure out exactly where it's coming from - i.e the hoses, the pump or what.

Meanwhile - Is there any common failure point on the PS system?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Haynes Manual

Hi,

I recently bought the Haynes Service & Repair manual for the Disco 1 from ebay(.co.uk) for about €25. There is a good section in it on page 11.16 about Removing & Refitting of the PS pump and also on bleeding the PS system.

There is too much there for me to type it in for you unfortunately. Other people may be able to give real advice though.

Good luck with it, if you do find a fix etc, can you put it in here.

Cheers

Wicklah

·
Registered
777 Posts
The crimp style factory clamps usually are the one's that tend to leak. I might consider replacing the hoses with aftermarket, Some independant auto parts stores can make them (like a hydraulic shop) i.e. new braided stainless steel lines.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
It's more than likely leaking from the high pressure hose. This is the one that goes from the pump to the steering box. It should only have high pressure when the steering wheel is turned away from center with pressure assisting the turning. If this hose is found to be leaking, it must be replaced. Don't try to repair the high pressure line with hose clamps, they won't hold.

·
SCUBA Instructor
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More info

Ok, spent a little time with a flash light under the hood looking for the leak while a friend cranked the steering wheel. No smoking gun.

There is fluid all over everything underneath, even a ever so slight drip coming off the bottom of the pump on to the steer rod - but no obvious "arterial bleed" anywhere. Seems like every component of the PS system has fluid on it somewhere - very difficult to tell where this very slow leak is coming from.

Any suggestions on how to pinpoint the leak?

I could post some photos or even a little video clip? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
90% of the time it’s your high/low pressure power steering hoses that leak. The pump has been know to fail, but it usually won’t leak. You could try this trick to locate the problem. Dry up as much of the oil on the hoses and suspected surrounding areas and use a puffer pack to dust some talcum or baby powder onto the hoses. Whatever is leaking will then be quite obvious.
Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.