Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm not the first one to post here asking about a replacement fluid for the Texaco Cold Climate that the manual recommends. I've read a few other posts both on this site and on others, and the vast majority of them are older. They usually recommend a Valvoline Synthetic PSF, but Valvoline's website doesn't even list any PSF's under their products, and the only real two I could find are the "VV335" and "602241", which is the same thing with and without Stop Leak. From what I can tell this model is "Semi-Synthetic", and I'm not sure that that will cut it. Any insight?

And if anyone happens to have a link to any kind of tutorial to flushing the PSF tank (and any recommendations on that process), that would be peachy.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I know I'm not the first one to post here asking about a replacement fluid for the Texaco Cold Climate that the manual recommends. I've read a few other posts both on this site and on others, and the vast majority of them are older. They usually recommend a Valvoline Synthetic PSF, but Valvoline's website doesn't even list any PSF's under their products, and the only real two I could find are the "VV335" and "602241", which is the same thing with and without Stop Leak. From what I can tell this model is "Semi-Synthetic", and I'm not sure that that will cut it. Any insight?

And if anyone happens to have a link to any kind of tutorial to flushing the PSF tank (and any recommendations on that process), that would be peachy.

Thanks much!
https://landroverforums.com/forum/discovery-ii-18/full-power-steering-flush-disco-2-a-82162/
Link for the flush procedure.

I've been running the Pentosin synthetic hydraulic fluid in that thread. It costs $25 in the big box stores but that's the price you pay. There are only a couple of them that can be used, none cheap. FYI the products for the flush will be around $55 total but works remarkably well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The cheaper 1 I have used to flush contaminants if not doing the all-out flush linked from LRFs. If you remove the reservoir you will see all of the black particles from old hoses and the metallic flakes from steel parts stuck to the bottom inlet filter; try to get most of that out or replace the reservoir after the flush, before the final refill.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.