Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble disconnecting the gravity feed line from the pump (2002 Disco 2). Its a tight spot with the pump in place. Anyone figure out how to get that o loosen then clamp loose? I can't seem to get enough leverage or gap to loosen the clamp:serious:serious. Perhaps the pump has to be taken off to make this a whole lot easier?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I guess I got lucky because the screw to the clamp on the low pressure PS hose was facing to the front where I could get at it with my bit. When i swapped the pumps I engaged the hose & left the clamp loose so that it could be rotated to the front after I had the pump & bracket in place. You may just have to drop the pump & then loosen the clamp unless you want to get underneath the truck and see if you can get to it that way.
If you have to drop the pump just remove the intake tube, upper radiator cowl, fan/clutch, belt, A/c compressor then idler pulley in that order. You will then have access to all 4/5 bolts & 1 nut for the PS pump and bracket. Remove the nut and (2) 10mm bolts for the pump & 1 10mm bolt up top of bracket completely. Try to remove the stud that the nut was on and then pry the pump downward to drop it out and remove the hose and HP pipe. If you can't get the stud out you will have to remove the bigger 13mm bolts and pull the bracket & pump toward the front as an assembly to slip it past the stud. When you reassemble spin that clamp so you can tighten it in place with a screwdriver from the front of motor & next time you won't have any problems. While you have the PS fluid drained, remove the reservoir and flush the contaminants out of the filter or just replace the tank so there isn't a bunch of crud circulating or blocking the return.

FYI there is an Oring on the HP pipe so keep the original or buy a replacement; mine is now leaking because I lost mine a while back & though I could get by without it again. Not so much...
I'm having trouble disconnecting the gravity feed line from the pump (2002 Disco 2). Its a tight spot with the pump in place. Anyone figure out how to get that o loosen then clamp loose? I can't seem to get enough leverage or gap to loosen theclamp
. Perhaps the pump has to be taken off to make this a whole lot easier?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally manged to remove the clamp from the power steering hose where it meets the pump! Not easy! and I was able to replace the hose and the clamp. The leak did subside! In addition I used Lucas stop leak and it helped to further stop leakage/seepage from pump. The steering is still whining during turns but not while going straight. The power steering reservoir does have a nice flow of fluid and there are many champagne size bubbles during idle on top of the fluid in the reservoir during idle. New pump may be in the near future?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Def new pump time. Mine had a catastrophic failure thankfully near my house. Pulled off the pump then worried about lines. I remember Atlantic british and a few YouTube videos being extremely approachable for it.

I had extreme bubbles at idle.

Replaced the pump and boom, no more problems

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced the pump (cardone ramon from Rock Auto) and all is better! I did not remove the fan as I did not have the tool to hold the pulley. I will buy one of these at some point as the water pump will not last forever! The idler pulleys seem quite worn at 156K miles and 15 years old. Any recommendations for brand to use as replacement?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Use a pipe wrench on the belt. Tighten it as far down as it'll go and **** the wrench sideways, Then give the fan pulley wrench a crack.

I pop the bearings out and replaced them with higher-quality pieces- retaining the pulley. Cheaper too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.